Chapter 23

Tiger

The last person I expected to see was Otanyi, but I knew it was her even before she turned around. From behind, I admired the sexy curve and swell of her shape in what had to be the most beautiful dress in this place.

And to think, I almost didn't want to come. It had been a last-minute addition to the team schedule, but I was a sucker for fundraising money for anything that had to do with helping sick children. I was on my third 'Make-A-Wish' appearance this year already, and I was going to squeeze in another two as long as I could get my manager and agent to work it into my calendar. It was hard enough just finding the time to be wherever I could be with Otanyi.

But the calendar gods had been sweet to me today, and I was going to get my hands full with a woman with whom I was developing some intense feelings and fulfill my team obligations by attending this function tonight.

"Who is that?" I heard Emile say under his breath with a low whistle as he leaned over my shoulder. It only took me a second to realize that he was looking in the same direction I'd been stuck staring in, mesmerized by Otanyi and waiting for her to look over here.

"Forget everything you're thinking," I warned him. I turned my gaze and panned it around the table for the other guys on the team who had overheard Emile's whistle and had begun looking over at her, too.

"I think not, my friend. I think I'm in love already," Emile started to fix his bowtie, which he'd borrowed from me as he was recently signed to the team and didn't have the proper attire for a black tie function. He was a youngster, though, and had shown promise throughout his play style in the minors, so I was already treating him like a little brother and taking him under my wing.

"Down, boy, she's already taken," I hadn't bothered to look back at him, but when I heard some familiar groans from others at the table, I adjusted my focus back to them. We'd all been relegated to a team table that had no wives or girlfriends seated with us. The testosterone was practically overpowering the space, and every female and some male eye was directed at our table throughout the evening. The guys teased often that the press and the fans were only ever interested in me, but even I had to admit that this was a better-looking bunch of guys than I'd played with overseas.

"Who's already calling dibs? You mean that guy beside her?" Frank had the biggest mouth, and even though he was married, he took it upon himself as the elder statesman of our group to comment on practically everything.

"That's just her boss," I said confidently. I wouldn't let these guys rile me up or disclose anything until I was good and ready. Besides, I'd need to confirm things with her first, and that's just what I intended to do tomorrow at the party I was having at my home.

"Come one, do you really know her?" Emile poked me in the ribs. He was the opposite of me, although we were both military brats. He'd been born and raised primarily in France, Paris to be precise, but his father's appointments meant he started his football career in the US. And, so, his little accent was a bit watered down like my own. But it was becoming oddly annoying now that he kept bugging me.

There she'd turned, and I could see her profile.

She looked like a goddess in that dress. And I knew what was underneath it intimately. My hand went to my mouth to wipe it absentmindedly as I kept staring after her. She was being escorted to another table further out of my sight. I noticed the beautiful necklace she was wearing around her neck. I know why she did that. A part of me was sorry that she didn't have my mark on full display. But she'd been right; she wasn't some teenage girl who could walk into a professional situation with her hickey showing. But I was still proud of myself for giving her one, no matter what she said.