Chapter 3

Hunter

Angry Agatha.

She was the last person I wanted to see this morning, and she'd been standing in the reception area outside of my office. So, I slipped past her as fast as I could and closed the door behind me, leaving no misunderstanding that I did not want to be disturbed.

But she still opened my door anyway.

And without fucking knocking first!

This woman was still taking liberties with me.

Jesus Christ.

It'd already been three fucking years since that unfortunate night we'd been forced to spend together. There was a hurricane warning for the greater downtown Charlotte area, and somehow, I'd ended up being stuck in our offices when the power went out and the backup generator neglected to kick in. None of the door locks would work, and my key card had been useless.

It was so late that initially, I'd thought I was there alone until I heard what sounded like whimpering. It was Agatha, holed up in the reception area hallway closet. Apparently, she was afraid of the dark. So, I'd let her sit in my office while I tried getting some work done with just my phone's flashlight.

We'd barely even held a conversation that night into the wee hours until the building security showed up with fire and rescue. Or, more accurately, I hadn't bothered to engage her, and somehow, she'd still managed to talk my ear off. And she had a terrible personality to boot. I remember from that night specifically that she'd regaled me with her varied tales of her failed relationships.

And she was never at fault, of course. She was pissed at each and every one of her exes.

Poor bastards.

I don't know what made her think we were friends or even that I cared.

But she kept inserting herself into my personal space at any given opportunity since then.

So, I'd made it my mission to be just hostile and vulgar enough towards her to force her into keeping her distance while being careful not to cross any HR lines. And it seemed to be working for the past several months. She'd been keeping a wide berth. That is until I saw her pink explosion outfit this morning on my path to my front door.

"What the fuck did you just say?" The sharp outburst immediately drew my attention toward the direction from which those words had just come. Someone was directly behind the pink intruder.

She was slightly taller than Agatha, especially as the latter was now on her ass just inside my office doorway.

I had to stifle my laugh since I honestly didn't know what I would be attributing it to: Agatha's current state of legs and arms akimbo on my office floor or that someone took to swearing and vulgarities as much as I did. Probably a little bit of both.

To keep Agatha from spreading her unreasonable rage any further, I went to the doorway to help her and, of course, to get a better look at her companion.

Taking in the women before me and ignoring the one I was retrieving from the ground, I'd never seen someone's eyes shine as brightly as this woman's when they were focused on me. There weren't any tears in her eyes, but her orbs were the most exquisite shade of deep brown that I'd ever seen, and it complimented her face perfectly.

Couple this with the soft, airy dark brown tresses draping just past her shoulders, and I think I could feel my mouth getting drier. The cream-coloured business suit was the perfect contrast to her dark skin. She looked like she was crafted specially to be looked at and appreciated. I had to turn away before I came off like a creepy stalker. And I don't think she could see me checking her out.