A Little Friend

My dad and I walk inside. There are a few boxes lying around, but the house is surprising well furnished despite them just moved in.

"Here you can take a seat on the couch..." the man said as he was interrupted by a rumbling from the stairs

"Daddy Daddy, whos hewe?" I little voice echoed in the house as a little boy came running down the stairs

"Oh how could I forget" The man said

"This here is my 4 year old son Hughy. Hughy these are our neighbors"

"Hi" Hughy said waving

"Whats youw name?" He asked approaching me

"Uhhh, I'm Brent" I said awkwardly

"Oh why don't you boys go play upstairs while us dads have a beer" Hughys dad suggested

I give my dad another glare. I didn't want to hang out with some... toddler. But he looked back with his own glare with much more authority. I can see in his eyes him saying "Don't be rude, just do it".

I give a slight sigh and say sure as Hughy pulls me upstairs with him.

Walking into his room was like a blast from the past. His walls were a nice baby blue, he had a twin sized bed with astronauts on it. His dressers were a light pastel green, he even had race car rugs to play on with the many toys scattered across the room. Not to mention, I could swear there was a faint scent of baby powder in the air.

Hughy and I take a seat as he grabs two of his race cars before he jumps on his butt with what I could only describe as a crinkle. Despite, my annoyance, I take a car and begin playing with the kid. Although childish, I quickly began to have some fun. It was nice to let my brain relax and take a step back from my life and instead enjoy some easy fun.

"Vroom Vroom" Hughy said

"Nrooom" I returned as we followed the track on the carpet

"I win again!" he screamed

"Aww I guess you do" I said acting disappointed

As Hughy went to grab some new toys in his treasure box I looked around in his room a little more. There was a lot of Bluey plushies and toys. Clearly, that was the kids favorite show.

"So... Hughy" I said trying to make small talk as he walked back over to me

"I see you like Bluey"

"Oh yeah its my favowite show" he said

"Yeah looks like you really like it" I said pointing at his shirt that had Bluey on the front

"Ya, dats not the only thing that has Bluey on it" he said reaching for his pants

I didn't have time to react as he pulled his pants to the floor. I expected to see a pair of underwear, or possibly a pull-up that had Bluey characters on it. But I was mistaken. Instead, around the kids hips was a thick baby diaper, which did have a print of Bluey across it, and from the droopy nature of the pamp, I guessed he had used it already.

"See" Hughy showed pointing at the characters

"Ugh yeah very cool buddy" I say a little shocked

I mean, aren't they supposed to be potty trained at that age I thought? Or at least in pull-ups. I didn't think 4 year olds sill wore diapers. But I guess good for him for not caring.

To reinforce my point, instead of pulling up his pants, Hughy steped out of them and threw them into a corner of the room, choosing to showcase is bluey diapers.

"Oh I have an idea" Hughy says excitedly

"Ummm ok what is it" I ask

"Lets have a sleepover!" He says rushing downstairs

"Wait Hughy, I don't..." but he was already halfway down the stairs as I continued to race after him