1.32𓆩ᥫ᭡𓆪

Start from the beginning

Liam blinked in the darkness, and soon, outlines formed of the unfamiliar room. He hoped that when he woke up, his mind would feel a little less busy, and he would feel a little less awkward.

Zayn, with a cushion propped up against the armrest and his legs curled to avoid hanging over the side, watched his bed with a thumping heart.

Liam's scent had made its way around his room. Liam had used his own soap in the shower and that seeped from the bathroom too. Zayn couldn't be more thrilled and knew sleep would be hard to reach.

********

Zayn had woken up every time he tried to move on the couch. He would have slept better if he was in his wolf form. Even sleeping on the floor would have been more comfortable.

Every time Zayn woke, his attention darted to the bed, smelling his mate and hearing his soft breathing. Zayn would get excited and take a while to fall back to sleep.

When dawn arrived, Zayn sat up and his eyes fell on the mop of brown wavy hair poking out from the top of his duvet. Liam was curled in the middle of the bed and buried deep under the covers.

His breathing was slow, and his heart drummed steadily.

Zayn stretched and his wolf stirred within. He ached to taste the fresh morning air, and to smell the earth and to feel the cold mud under his paws.

Instead, Zayn sat on the couch until the sun rose higher.

Zayn soon got tired of sitting and tiptoed around his room, getting dressed and ready for the day. Zayn would have to organise a morning meeting to announce Liam as his mate, and Liam had to be there.

When he was dressed in his all-black attire, Zayn stood by the bed, wondering how to wake his sleeping mate. Zayn would love to let Liam sleep in, but he felt the restlessness of the wolves in the institute. Zayn knew most of the pack would be in the canteen eating breakfast, and Liam's scent would be the main topic.

Carefully, Zayn sat on the side of the bed and leaned closer. He gently tapped the lump that was Liam until the lump stirred.

"Morning," he said when Liam's head emerged from the duvet. Half-closed brown eyes started back, confused.

For a moment, Liam looked like he had forgotten where he was, until he mumbled, "Morning."

Zayn's heart was a hot gooey mess in his chest. Liam's wavy hair stuck up in every direction. His cheeks were pink. Liam was like a dozy puppy waking up from a deep nap.

"Did you sleep well?" Zayn asked.

Liam nodded and yawned. "Did you?"

"Yes," Zayn lied, so Liam wouldn't feel bad. Zayn hoped he would only be sleeping on the couch for a few more nights.

"I'm waking you up because I  have to speak to my pack about you and it's best that you're there when I do. You don't have to speak or anything, but it's best that they get used to seeing your face around."

Liam understood, but the thought of having unfamiliar faces looking at him wasn't kind on his nerves. "So, everyone in here is a werewolf?"

Zayn nodded.

"And I'm the only human?"

"I know that's daunting." Zayn felt very singled out in Ethdellin Town, even when humans didn't know he was different. "But everyone in here will give you the respect they give to me. If they don't, they can find somewhere else to live."

Darkness formed in Zayn's eyes, and Liam couldn't help but ask, "I- Is this, um, protectiveness thing a werewolf thing?"

"We are very possessive. I'm trying to hold it back as much as I can"