Chapter 13

Marlowe

Going out on a Wednesday. Who does that?

Okay, probably most teenagers... But usually, I'm not one of them.

I have more important things to do like cheer practice and homework, and if I don't have either of those things to work on, there's always something I could be studying. Even if I don't have a test coming up, I like to look over the material that I'm learning in my classes. It's never too early to study.

But here I am, standing near the flagpole at the front of the school, scanning the sidewalk for Puck so that we can go out... on a date, or whatever.

Is it still considered a date if he's your fake boyfriend?

... Can I still consider him my fake boyfriend if I get butterflies in my stomach every time I see him?

Speaking of, there he is and there they are, fluttering around in my stomach and making the air around me suddenly feel thin. That is, until Natalie runs out of the school after him.

"Puck! Wait up!" she shouts as she closes the distance between them.

His eyes have already found me at the flagpole, and there's a wide grin on his face. He waves at me as he stops walking and then looks over his shoulder at Natalie.

"Thanks for helping me with my math homework during Spare," she all but coos at him once she's at his side. She looks up at his handsome face, batting her eyelashes. "I was wondering what you were up to after school today. I could use some more of your help. I promise I'll make it worth your while."

I could swear she sneaks a sideways glance at me while she waits for his answer, but she's not the only one who has moved their eyes in my direction.

"I'm actually about to take my girlfriend out," Puck answers her while gesturing toward me. He begins to walk again, and Natalie keeps in step with him like a gnat buzzing around your head that won't fly away even after you bat at it with your hand. "You know Marlowe, right?" he asks.

It's comical watching Natalie's eyes widen before she narrows them at me. They're standing in front of me now, and Puck reaches for my hand with an easy smile.

"Hey cheer girl, you know Natalie, right?"

He knows I know her. I talked about her after we left the party on Friday. I admitted to him that part of the reason I had jumped him when he got to the party was to show her that I had a claim on him. And now, he's making it clear to her, even going as far as to call me his girlfriend.

"Hi, Natalie." I give her a winning smile, and Jonah chooses that moment to lean down and lightly brush his lips against my cheekbone.

The butterflies flutter through me again. I'm not sure if he's playing his fake boyfriend role to get Natalie off his back or if he's just being my sweet Jonah who can't seem to get enough of me even when no one is around. Either way, the butterflies don't care... But, do I?

"Hi." Natalie's sugary sweet voice is gone now that she's talking to me. It's replaced by one that is much more flat.

Jonah keeps my hand in his but turns his attention back to Natalie. "I can help you during Spare again tomorrow," he offers kindly, "I'm not able to help you any time outside of school though. I have a lot going on with hockey, and any free time outside of that I want to spend with Marlowe."

"Sure," Natalie replies with a tight smile. "I'll see you tomorrow then." She walks away with her chin held high but I know it's all for show. The girl is pissed.