Chapter 7

Puck

As we walk down the hallway from our last class of the week, Marlowe's hand lightly brushes against mine. I glance at her with a grin before catching her hand with mine, but then her trio of friends come from around the corner. Marlowe attempts to pull her hand away from mine before they spot us, and I reluctantly let her go.

To say I've been confused by her mixed signals is an understatement.

It was her idea to pretend that we're dating to get through this year without distractions, and we get along great. But she shies away from doing anything too coupley in front of other people and she still won't give me her phone number.

I asked her the night of the party when she drove me home and she grinned and told me to try again once school started. So I did. I asked her at the end of our first school day and she rolled her eyes at me and asked if that's how I got all the girls' numbers at my old school.

If you counted the first time I asked her, when we met in Toronto, that was three times already. By baseball standards, I had struck out. And I wasn't even trying to get on base!

This is why I stick to hockey.

Peyton, Hadley and Ronnie fall into step with us, and I debate on excusing myself to get to the bus. It's not that I personally don't like Marlowe's friends but I'm starting to notice a pattern in Marlowe's attitude toward me when they're around. She becomes more distant and aloof, and it's really perplexing since I thought our pretending to date would mean just the opposite.

"So what are you doing your first Friday night since school started, Puck?" Ronnie asks while placing a hand on my arm.

Marlowe's eyes narrow in her direction.

Crap. I guess I didn't escape to my bus soon enough.

"I'm going to mow down on some food and then head over to practice," I answer while attempting to discreetly move my arm away from her hand.

"But what about after practice? You're coming to Mason's party, right?" Hadley asks.

I shake my head. "No? I don't know who Mason is and this is the first I've heard of it."

"Lowe!" Peyton whacks Marlowe's arm and shakes her head at her. "You didn't tell him?"

I meet Marlowe's eyes and try to decipher what this means. Why wouldn't she tell me? Does she not want me there?

"I didn't think you liked going to parties," she explains with a shrug.

"You're going though?" I ask, continuing to search her eyes.

She nods and then looks away, leaving me with a whole lot more questions than answers.

This girl is so confusing.

"Well, I hope you girls have fun tonight. Stay safe, okay?" I smile at each of them and then take Marlowe's bag off my shoulder to hand it back to her. "I should get going. I don't want to miss the bus."

"Puck," Marlowe mumbles my name in what sounds like an apology as she takes her bag back from me, and now all her friends are oddly quiet.