⁵⁷ 𝓂𝒶𝓎𝒷𝑒 𝒸𝒶𝓉𝑜 𝓁𝒾𝓀𝑒𝓈 𝒷𝑒𝓇𝓇𝒾𝑒𝓈 𝓉𝑜𝑜

Early the next day, the tranquil silence that enveloped the arena was disrupted by a persistent beeping sound. It echoed through the stillness, alerting both predators and tributes alike to a new development. As the source of the disturbance materialized, a parachute gracefully descended from the sky, making its way to the ground near the secluded cave where Katniss and Peeta had sought refuge. Quick to respond, Katniss emerged from the cave with a sense of urgency, her bow at the ready, poised for any potential threat. The surprise on her face was evident, as she had not anticipated the arrival of a sponsor at this particular moment. The significance of this unexpected gesture lingered in the air, adding an element of suspense to the already intense atmosphere.

The departure of Haymitch the night before left only Quartz occupying the couch, an observer to the unfolding events. Rosemary, engrossed in her own world, lifted a cup of tea to her lips, savoring its warmth, and delicately picked up a low calorie biscuit. Her eyes were fixed on the screen, a faint smile playing on her lips as she witnessed Katniss open the parachute and read the accompanying note. The encrypted message added a layer of mystery, ensuring that the rest of Panem remained oblivious to the communication transpiring between the tributes and their sponsors.

With a satisfied smile, Rosemary settled onto the couch just as Katniss retreated into the cave as Peeta, who had just awakened, sought nourishment. Concerned for his well-being, he inquired, "Medicine?" To which Katniss replied, "No, soup."

As Peeta extended towards the canned sustenance, Katniss, in a moment of protective tenderness, intercepted, declaring, "No, I'll do it." Thus began a scene that unfolded with a poignant grace, as Katniss assumed the role of nurturer, spoon-feeding Peeta with a gentleness that surpassed the harsh realities of the Hunger Games.

She ladled one spoonful of soup, and a grateful Peeta acknowledged, "That's nice." The atmosphere became charged with unspoken emotions as Katniss, her gaze fixed on the task at hand, revealed a memory lingering in the recesses of her mind.

"You fed me once," she uttered, deliberately avoiding Peeta's eyes. The next spoonful poised for delivery, Peeta halted the process, his voice carrying the weight of a confession long held captive.

"I think about that all the time. How I tossed you that bread."

"Peeta," Katniss whispered, attempting to silence him, but he persisted. "I should have gone to you. I should have just gone out in the rain and-" Katniss, realizing the depth of his remorse, intervened, gently shushing him, "You feel hot," her hand pressed against his forehead.

Midst the exchange, Rosemary observed the unfolding drama, her eyes fixed on the delicate dance of emotions. Quartz, too, absorbed the nuances of the interaction, both of them perhaps contemplating the complexities of love and survival in the crucible of their reality.