⁷ 𝓁𝒶𝓉𝑒 𝓃𝒾𝑔𝒽𝓉 𝓉𝒶𝓁𝓀

The sun had long since set, casting a twilight glow over Panem. Most of the tributes had retired to their rooms after dinner, seeking rest before another grueling day of training. However, Rosemary remained at the table, sipping a glass of water, her mind filled with thoughts and concerns. Porter appeared in the doorway, concern etched across her face.

"Aren't you going to bed?" she inquired, noticing Rosemary's late-night contemplation. Rose had not noticed that she had been watching from the doorway.

Rosemary shook her head. "No, my mind is racing," she replied, her voice tinged with unease.

"Do you want to talk?" Porter said and her tribute nodded. Porter offered a comforting smile and gestured toward the couches. Rosemary followed her mentor and settled on one of the couches, her legs crossed beneath her. "So, what's on your mind?" Porter inquired gently.

"Collumbae," Rosemary began, her thoughts drifting to her enigmatic district partner. "He chose the careers."

Porter nodded, having heard the news earlier from Quartz. "Yes, I heard about it from Quartz before you returned from training."

"I don't understand," Rosemary admitted, wrapping a blanket around herself as if seeking solace. "I didn't know him well, but I never thought he would do something like that."

Porter leaned in, her eyes filled with understanding. "These things often happen in the early days of training. Tributes start to realize that only one can survive, and their alliances shift. Sometimes, they choose the careers."

"He was saying things about me talking to Lizzie," Rosemary continued, her voice laced with anxiety.

"Lizzie?" Porter asked, curious about the sudden mention of a new ally.

A faint smile crossed Rosemary's face, her worries momentarily set aside. "It's the female tribute from District Three. We sat and talked during lunch." Porter smiled. "We're training together tomorrow."

Porter mentor looked up and smiled warmly, acknowledging the importance of forming alliances. "That's good, Rosemary. But please remember, not everyone is as they seem. Some may have hurt you in the past, but that doesn't mean they're terrible. The same goes the other way around," she advised, her words carrying a deeper meaning. Rosemary pondered Porter's advice but couldn't quite grasp its full significance. "You should get some sleep," Porter suggested gently before standing up and heading toward the exit. She paused to stroke Rosemary's hair, a comforting gesture before she left the room.

Once Porter was out of sight, Rosemary let out a heavy sigh. She had no intention of returning to her room just yet. Since everyone had retreated for the night, she reasoned that slipping out unnoticed wouldn't be an issue. With cautious steps, she made her way to the elevator, grabbing a nearby scarf to ward off the night's chill. Rosemary couldn't help but remark on the Capitol's extravagant fashion as she wrapped the scarf around her shoulders. It looked soft but felt itchy against her skin, a small price to pay for a hint of warmth.

"How do they wear these things?" she murmured to herself.

Intent on seeking solitude and fresh air, Rosemary entered the elevator and pressed the button for the rooftop. She needed a break from the bustling interior of the training center but had no desire to venture into the city streets below. Staying atop the building allowed her some solace. The elevator ride was quiet, the sleek, Capitol technology masking any noise. Rosemary observed the numbers on the display, each floor passing by in silence; nine, ten, eleven, twelve— oh god she hated twelve- rooftop. As the elevator ascended, her anticipation grew, and her thoughts began to shift away from the anxieties of the training center. Finally, the doors opened to the rooftop. The night air was crisp, and Rosemary shivered as she stepped out and it was hard to believe it was summer. She draped the scarf more tightly around her shoulders, regretting her decision to leave her sweater in her room. She was under dressed for the cool evening, but that was the least of her concerns.