¹⁷ 𝓌𝒽𝒶𝓉 𝒶𝒷𝑜𝓊𝓉 𝒽𝒶𝓎𝓂𝒾𝓉𝒸𝒽 ?

"You're alive," the voice faintly echoed through the desolate ruins. Rosemary froze in her stance, her head shifting toward where she thought the sound came from. She saw no one.

"Elvira," Lizzie said, finally exhaling a breath she had been holding. Rosemary watched as Lizzie began walking over toward a figure standing further away. She followed close behind.

"How'd you know where I was?" Elvira asked, looking back and forth at them.

"I guess we just knew," Rosemary answered, her heart filled with relief that the girl from District Twelve was alive.

"Good that, I hate this place," Elvira said, her voice tinged with bitterness.

"Where have you been staying?" Lizzie asked, her voice lower than usual.

"I'll show you."

Elvira led the way towards one of the decaying buildings, oddly close to the ominous cornucopia. Rosemary couldn't help but wonder, had Elvira been staying this close to danger the entire time? The other tributes must have fled as soon as they collected as many weapons as they could. It was a miracle that Elvira was still alive. In previous years, the tributes, especially the careers, would hunt down everyone around the cornucopia at first. However, this year seemed different in many ways.

Walking closely behind the red-haired girl, they entered the abandoned building. The door emitted a high-pitched screech that could potentially attract attention if anyone was nearby. Lizzie closed it behind them, securing it with a wooden plank someone had rigged to the wall, effectively locking them in and keeping everyone else out.

The space they had entered wasn't the most spacious. Most of the interior had crumbled or been destroyed by the decaying ceiling. One of the walls was covered in wild greenery, and another was plastered with written numbers and lines. The floor, once pristine white marble, was now coated in dust and mud.

"This is it," Elvira said, placing her backpack on the ground. "It's not much, but it's better than nothing."

Lizzie managed a smile, though it was evident that she was in pain. "It's better than the attic back in the cafe."

"Much better," Rosemary added as she sat down on a random wooden chair in the room.

"The only thing that disturbs me is that," Elvira said, pointing up at the ceiling, where an immense hole had formed. "It broke the first night."

"At least it provides some fresh air," Rosemary remarked, mustering a small smile, which Elvira reciprocated with a faint one. "It seems like you've been doing well, even if it's not a forest."

"It's somewhat like back at home. There's barely any food, and there are a couple of houses around filled with lots of stuff, so I guess I'm just lucky."