¹⁶ 𝓂𝒶𝓇𝒾𝑜𝓃𝑒𝓉𝓉𝑒 𝒹𝑜𝓁𝓁𝓈

"That marks one day over in this year's Hunger Games. How are you liking it so far?" Lokachari exclaimed with infectious excitement, his voice vibrating with the electric anticipation of the Capitol. The interviewer looked directly into the camera, making uncomfortably intense eye contact with everyone watching across the districts before turning his attention to the man seated beside him.

"Well, this year is like nothing we've ever seen before," Nerio replied, his eyes twinkling with a mix of wonder and amusement. Both of them exchanged knowing glances, breaking into smiles and laughter as they nodded in agreement. "An abandoned city is a far cry from the usual Games arenas. The tributes are scattered, hiding behind buildings and cars, and there have already been some remarkable developments."

"Oh, absolutely! The bloodbath was a spectacular start, although it was nothing we've seen before," Lokachari chimed in, a touch of disappointment evident in his voice. To the Capitol citizens, every word they spoke sounded as authentic as it could be, but for those watching from their homes and the past victors, it was just more Capitol propaganda.

"I concur, it left much to be desired. However, I think we've all found ourselves favoring one or two tributes, haven't we?" Nerio inquired with a mischievous grin.

"Indeed, I have my absolute favorite, hailing from District One—the intimidating and dashing tribute, Marc," Nerio paused dramatically, his voice dripping with admiration.

"Yes, he's truly outshining the competition this year. But I may have another favorite," Lokachari teased, raising an intrigued eyebrow.

"And who might that be?" Nerio asked, though it was clear he already knew.

"The mysterious girl from District Five, of course!"

Nerio turned his gaze toward the large screen behind them, which projected the ongoing Games. On the screen, a hovercraft was seen picking up Jack's lifeless body. "Rosemary already has a score of three."

"Perhaps this is the year the last Acker will emerge victorious?" Lokachari pondered.

"The competition is fierce, and surviving as one of the last tributes standing is no easy feat. Whether she can do it, especially if she and her friends are the last ones left, remains to be seen, Nerio stated thoughtfully.

"I think it's time for us to take a closer look at how she's faring. Don't you think that's a splendid idea?" Both hosts nodded, turning their attention back to the screen, as if they were being manipulated by some unseen force.

Rosemary remained clueless that someone was watching her every move. At times, she almost forgot she was in the Hunger Games, fighting for her life. But there were moments when the deaths of other tributes replayed in her mind—their falls, their life snuffed out. For most, they died only once, but for Rose, those deaths would haunt her forever. She was the cause of one of them, the result of her own intent to kill. Jack was dead because of her. The girl from District four was dead because of her, and for as long as she lived, she would bear that burden.

"How's your shoulder?" Rosemary asked, trying to drown out her dark thoughts. It seemed to work, at least momentarily.

"It hurts like a bitch," Lizzie replied, wincing as she touched her shoulder. They had wrapped a makeshift bandage around it, but it offered little protection.

"You don't think it's infected, do you?"

"I don't know," Lizzie admitted, though they both knew that without proper medical attention, the infection could prove fatal. "We need to find Elvira; she knows this stuff."

"We haven't seen her since the Games started," Rosemary noted.

"From what I know about her, she hates running, so she's probably lurking near the cornucopia," Lizzie reasoned.

They were already on their way to the cornucopia, navigating the inner paths to avoid potential observers around the corners. The main road would have led them directly to the cornucopia, but they valued their lives more than speed. Rosemary suspected Lizzie felt the same way. As they walked, cool breezes slipped through the alleyways, sending goosebumps racing across Rosemary's arms and legs. It was an uncomfortable sensation. Their waxed hair was starting to grow back, trying to break through their skin. The neatly trimmed nails they had before the Games were now bitten down, with two cuticles oozing blood. But none of it bothered her anymore; the minor discomfort of splinters was eclipsed by the life-or-death struggle she faced.

Rosemary kicked an open can that lay on the ground. It bounced thrice before slamming into a nearby brick building. Watching it with curiosity, she couldn't help but notice the brick move slightly upon impact. A regular brick should have stayed in place. She crouched down to examine it more closely.

She was right; it wasn't just her imagination. The brick had moved. As she poked it, a faint squeaking sound emanated from the wall.

"Rose, what is it?" Lizzie asked, approaching cautiously.

"I think it's a camera," Rose replied.

"Indeed, that is a camera, Rosemary Acker," Nerio declared with amusement, chuckling as Rosemary's face filled the screen. The camera zoomed out to reveal Nerio and Lokachari, who were visibly delighted by this development.

"This is the second close-up of this year's Games—how thrilling!" Lokachari exclaimed.

They continued to watch the Games, pointing out various aspects of Rosemary and Lizzie's actions. Lokachari even clapped his hands in excitement when they reached the cornucopia. Although not much else of note was happening at that moment, Rosemary and Lizzie had become the stars of the Hunger Games, at least for the time being. Of course, they were unaware of this fact, but the entire nation of Panem was watching their every move.

Behind the interviewers, the feed showed Rosemary and Lizzie searching the area around the cornucopia. They cautiously moved around, well aware that some tributes might see the cornucopia as a safe haven. Fortunately, they encountered no one, or so it seemed to them. But then, a faint voice echoed through the deserted streets, causing them to freeze in their tracks.

"You're alive."