⁹ 𝓇𝑜𝓈𝑒𝓂𝒶𝓇𝓎'𝓈 𝓅𝓁𝒶𝓃

Training had come to an end, signaling the approaching shadow of the Hunger Games. The individual evaluations loomed today, setting the stage for the interviews later that night—Rosemary's last day of relative freedom before entering the arena. In the apartment, Rosemary observed her mentors' frantic preparations. Quartz, in his perpetual quest for solace, scoured the room for yet another bottle of potent liquid. Porter, on the other hand, bustled about, determined to have everything arranged for the afternoon's events. Meanwhile, Calliope perched herself on a chair, calmly sipping tea, occasionally offering her insights about the night's festivities. Porter paid her words little heed, responding with absent-minded hums, leaving the escort to hope that at least some of her advice would be taken to heart. Rosemary watched this with an amused glint in her eye, knowing her mentors' quirks all too well. She stood ready to make her way to the training center, awaiting Collumbae's arrival, as they were supposed to go together as district partners.

Calliope's voice rang with delight. "Oh, imagine how wonderful it would be if one of our tributes scored a twelve."

Porter's response held a touch of skepticism. "Yeah, that would be something. But it hasn't happened in so many years."

Calliope, her gaze shifting to the anticipated arrival of the special tribute, knew precisely who she was referring to. "Porter, have you forgotten that we have a special tribute this year?"

"I certainly haven't, Calliope," Porter replied. Unbeknownst to Rosemary, Calliope's words weren't directed at her; they were about Collumbae.

"Here he comes," As Collumbae finally made his entrance, Calliope stood and approached the male tribute, both dressed in the same all-black attire with a prominent "5" stitched onto it.

Porter offered a gentle reminder. "You should get going. You don't want to be late, especially not today."

But Quartz, in his inebriated state, interjected with a slurred comment. "Ha! Don't listen to her. We all know you two aren't the first ones going in and bragging about your skills." His words were more muddled than ever today, a sad testament to his deteriorating state.

Porter walked closer to her tributes, who stood together by the elevator. In a hushed tone, she offered them words of encouragement. "You should go. Good luck, you two." She whispered, the sentiment meant for their ears alone.

Collumbae pressed the elevator button, and the doors opened, whisking them away from the chaotic scene. Inside, Quartz cast a bleary-eyed glance at the two tributes and blurted out another incomprehensible question.

"He's drunk." Rosemary clarified to which Collumbae responded, "No shit. He's always drunk." He faced her, making Rose feel even smaller than him then she already was.

Rosemary couldn't help but add, "Not like this. It's worse today."

Collumbae's question, however, took Rosemary aback. "You're really stating the obvious. Why do you even care?"

Her response was simple yet profound. "He's our mentor."

But Collumbae, unfazed, continued to peel back the layers of their mentors' opinions. "You know, he doesn't even like you. He thinks you're dead meat. Everyone thinks that." Rosemary was stunned by the revelation, her mouth agape. She hadn't realized that Quartz held such a dim view of her, although she couldn't entirely blame him, given the grim odds she faced. Collumbae even mentioned another famous mentor; "Even that other mentor, what's his name now? Oh, Haymitch Abernathy."

Thankfully, the elevator door spared Rosemary from further conversation. Collumbae exited first, with Rosemary following, keeping a cautious distance from him. As they entered the evaluation hall, the gaze of the assembled crowd bore down on them. They took their seats, nestled between tributes from districts four and six, with Collumbae's towering presence next to Rosemary. She looked around, trying to find Lizzie or Elvira and when she saw them, sitting by their districts, she noticed them not saying a word to their partners.