²⁴ 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒾𝓃𝓋𝒾𝓉𝒶𝓉𝒾𝑜𝓃

Dear Rosemary,

I hope this letter finds you well. Since your victory in the Games, I've been unable to stop thinking about you. Or, as you once mentioned, your survival. When I saw the way you stared down at your lap during your interview, it felt like reliving the horrors of your time in the arena.

Perhaps you're wondering why I'm reaching out to you now. To be honest, I'm not entirely sure myself. I just felt compelled to say that I'm sorry for the pain I caused you five years ago. Looking back, I realize that I didn't have any other choice, but that doesn't excuse my actions.

I suspect that you've accepted the President's offer, and I happened to be in the Capitol that weekend. If you're interested, I'd like to meet up and catch up. However, I understand if you'd rather not. Regardless, please take care of yourself.

Sincerely, Haymitch.

As Rosemary read Haymitch's letter, a warm smile tugged at her lips. She had never expected to hear from him again, and his words, though brief, carried a kindness and heartfelt sentiment that touched her deeply. Yet, her smile was fleeting, for she knew she couldn't let herself find solace in his words. With a sigh, she carefully placed the letter on the table and leaned back, her thoughts swirling.

She felt too restless to eat, and the prospect of dinner held little appeal to her. Instead, she opened a can of cat food and placed it on a plate for Leslie, who had been following her every move since their reunion.

"You'll have to wait until tomorrow before I take you home," she murmured to the cat as he eagerly devoured the food. "But don't worry, you won't be alone tonight."

With a sudden wave of exhaustion washing over her, Rosemary decided to retire early for the night. She wandered over to the couch, pulled a warm blanket over herself, and settled down. Her gaze fixed on the ceiling as her mind raced with thoughts of the day's events, and the weight of her decisions pressed down on her. The events of the day had taken a heavy toll on Rosemary, physically and emotionally. She closed her eyes and tried to find solace in the purring of Leslie, who had curled up nearby. The rhythmic sound provided a comforting background noise as she drifted off into a fitful sleep, leaving behind the turmoil of the day, if only for a few precious hours.

Rosemary jolted awake, her heart pounding like a drum against her rib cage. Her body was drenched in sweat, and the sheets clung to her like a shroud. She sat up in bed, gasping for breath, her wide eyes darting around the room as if searching for the specters of her nightmares. The room was still, the only sound the faint rustling of leaves outside the window.