|The Review|

HK Book Review Shop
The Review

This chapter will contain the things I will review in your book.

Opening Scene:
🔸Does the story begin with an interesting hook, creating a desire to read more?
🔹Does the manuscript begin in the right place?

Characterization & Motivation:
🔸Are the characters compelling, sympathetic, or someone you can root for?
🔹Do the characters feel real and three-dimensional, with distinct voices, flaws, and virtues?
🔸Are their goals clear and proactive enough to influence the plot (not passive)?
🔹Do their motivations seem believable, with well-drawn and appropriate emotion?
🔸Are the secondary characters well-rounded and enhance the story rather than overwhelming the story or seeming like they should be cut?
🔹Are the relationships between the characters believable and not contrived?

Plot & Conflict:
🔸Are the internal and external conflicts well defined for each main character?
🔹Are the internal and external conflicts organic and believable, i.e. arising out of characterization and circumstance rather than feeling contrived or forced?
🔸Are there enough stakes and/or tension throughout to make it a "page turner"?
🔹Does the premise avoid cliché and/or bring a fresh perspective to an old idea?
🔸Are the plot twists believable yet unexpected?
🔹Do the characters act or react to events in a plausible, realistic, or believable way?

Pacing:
🔸Do scenes progress in a realistic, compelling manner and flow with effective transitions?
🔹Does every scene add to and seem important to the story?
🔸Does the story move along at an appropriate pace, without rushing or dragging?
🔹Is there a hook at the end of each chapter or scene that makes you want to read more?
🔸Is the story free from information dumps or backstory that slow the pace of the story?

Setting & Worldbuilding:
🔸Are descriptions vivid and give a clear sense of time and place?
🔹Do the details enhance rather than distract from the story?

Dialogue:
🔸Is the dialogue natural and appropriate for the story, not stilted or overly narrative?
🔹Does dialogue move the story forward and reveal the characters?
🔸Are characters' voices consistent and distinct from one another?
🔹Is there an appropriate mix of dialogue and narrative?

Craft:
🔸Does the writing "show" the scene with the senses, using "telling" only as appropriate?
🔹Does the writing quality allow the story to shine through and draw the reader in, or are flaws jarring or intrusive?
🔸Is the tone appropriate and consistent for the story?
🔹Is the point of view (and any changes) handled appropriately and consistently?

Overall Impression:
🔸Is the voice unique, fresh, or interesting?
🔹Does the story deliver on the promise of its premise and opening scenes?
🔸From a reader's point of view, did you enjoy reading this story?

Additional Questions for Comment:
🔸Are there any confusing sections that should be made clearer?
🔹Do any sections take you out of the story?
🔸Is the story a good fit for the stated genre, and if not, why not?
🔹Who are your favorite—and least favorite—characters and why?
🔸What aspects are especially likable or unlikable about the protagonist(s)?
🔹What three things worked best for you?
🔸What three things worked least for you?

Chapter by Chapter Questions
🔸What works well in this chapter? What did you enjoy most about this chapter, or what gave you the strongest personal reaction?
🔹What didn't work in this chapter? What was confusing, misplaced, or otherwise felt "off" to you? 🔸Did you wish to learn more about any particular topic?
🔹Have any predictions? Based on what you just read, what do you think will happen next?
🔸Were the characters realistic? Were the characters (including the narrator) believable, relatable, and consistent unto themselves? If not, what do you think was missing to make them so?

Besides this, you will also receive a overall review.

If you have any specific requirements in the review, please add it in your submission form.