Chapter 4: Intruders

Start from the beginning

"Shit, do ghosts actually exist?" someone else asked.

Henry's sharp eyes caught it first – a barely discernible ripple in the air, reminiscent of heatwaves on asphalt. "Wait," he said, holding up a hand. He motioned to the screen. "There. Replay that."

Ryan quickly rewound the feed, playing back the last few seconds. The doors creaked open slightly, followed by the same ripple almost imperceptibly moving inside.

"The fuck?" Isaac noticed the faint distortion. "Legit ghosts? Active camo?"

"Switch to infrared," Henry ordered, a gut feeling nudging him.

Ryan raised an eyebrow. "Infrared? You think it'll show up?"

"Just a hunch," Henry said.

With a tap, the screen's hue shifted. The grand hall was awash in blues and purples, with the occasional yellow of warmer objects. But next to the warm amber glow of the lantern, there was a distinct, cold silhouette. More silhouettes surrounded it, each varied in how well they blended with the background.

Henry leaned in closer, his suspicion confirmed. "Gotcha," he murmured.

Ryan blinked, surprise evident. "I'll be damned."

The murmurs grew louder as the men in the room commented on the source of the intrusion. "What the hell is that?"

Before Henry could voice his thoughts, Kelmithus approached the screen. Catching sight of the evidence, his face tightened. "That," he began, voice low, "is no mere phantasm. 'Tis the art of Nobian cloaking magic."

A murmur of unease swept through the room. Isaac and Ryan exchanged a glance, their usual composed demeanor slipping just a tad. Henry picked up on it and held up a hand, bringing the room to a hush. The projection of the distortions on the screen, now with an explanation attached, seemed even more menacing. Henry nodded at Kelmithus, silently urging him to continue.

"In the lands of the Nobian Empire, there reside beasts called lurkers. They bear a talent to bend the very fabric of light around their form, rendering themselves nigh invisible to our sight."

Henry recalled wildlife documentaries where animals like chameleons changed color to blend with their surroundings, but this seemed more advanced. "Bending light?" he interjected.

Kelmithus gave a solemn nod. "Indeed. Much akin to how this device," he gestured to the infrared display, "reveals the warmth of beings, not unlike the manner of reptiles in this realm. 'Tis whispered amongst our scholars that the Nobians, through ages of observance and study, might have gleaned secrets from these lurkers. With time and art, they might have harnessed such knowledge, fashioning spells to grant them comparable concealment."

"So they learned from those lurkers," Ron said.

Kelmithus replied, "It is only what we surmise. Our knowledge of the Nobians is scant at best. They have long shielded their intents, often rebuffing our overtures for peace and kinship. Yet, tales have trickled down – hints and whispers."

Henry crossed his arms. They had such little information to work with. "How effective is their magic? Does it only bend the light?"

Kelmithus shook his head. "No, not merely so. It refracts it, disperses it. If wielded with mastery, it can render the caster near invisible, spanning diverse spectrums. Yet," his finger gestured to the screen where the distortion ambled past the warm light, "it appears some among the Nobians lack finesse in all domains."

Ryan smirked, "So most of them are more familiar with making themselves invisible to the human eye, but a handful screwed up when it came to infrared."

"In essence, aye," Kelmithus affirmed. "It appears this one erred in his art, neglecting to adjust when nearing the warm radiance. A fleeting misstep, but one that betrayed their presence."