The Hive

- Qibli

I awake to screaming. My eyes fly open and I am instantly on my feet. I look down and have a mini heart attack.

Is that Moon?

I quickly crouch down to look at her. Memories flood into my head.

That will take some time to get used to.

Then I realize Moon is shaking violently. A blood curling scream erupts from her. I start to shake her.

Slowly she opens her eyes. Our eyes lock and she jumps away from me.

"What the-" she stops for a moment and stares at the ground.

"Why are screaming?" I ask softly. "Partly just the nightmares I get most nights. Fabricated nightmares. Other parts are old experiences." she mumbles.

I nod. "I'm sorry." I whisper.

And then I am tackled. My back smacks the ground loudly.

I groan slightly. "Sorry." Moon says quietly. I smile at her warmly. "God I missed you." I sigh. Moon smiles and stands up.

"Sand isn't as bad as I thought it would be." she admits. I smile at her. She wraps her arms around my neck.

I wrap my around her waist. "I've spent plenty of nights on sand. That was by far the best." I say matter of factly.

She blushes and I grin. Her pale skin is adorable when it's flooded with a rosy color. I gently run my hand through her short silky hair.

Moon's head shoots up. She tilts her head at a 35 degree angle and her eyes seem to unfocus.

"Someone's near. West. Five miles. They aren't aware we are here." she whispers. I am impressed.

She went from being overwhelmed and terrified of the mind reading to being so good at it.

I wonder what I could do with mind reading. I could have found Moon when she was kidnapped.

Moon winces hard. I stare at her blankly.

"What?" I ask. "I just- I felt a strong wave a guilt maybe. But is was quick. And I can't identify who it came from." she answers.

Her eyes were still unfocused. Then a huge grin appeared on her face. "Whiteout!"

Just then a skinny little girl appeared. She had curly white hair with black streaks in it.

The little girl ran to Moon and jumped into her arms. Moon caught her happily. "I haven't seen you in a while Doll!" Moon exclaims.

Whiteout smiles softly. "The wind blew me where I was destined to go. Only now has the breeze taken me where I believe I am wished to be." the girl says.

I'm sorry? Translate that please? WHAT THE HELL DOES THAT MEAN?!

Moon grinned. "The wind is a mysterious thing. One moment you think you're going the right way, and the next you are going on a whole different trail. So let's make our reunion meaningful. For the breeze will change inevitably." Moon responds.

Do I even want to know?

But of course, Moon cannot quite hear me yet.

"Mind telling me where you've been?" Moon asks. "Like what was said. The breeze took to me and Dusky somewhere wonderful. Like a dream." Whiteout replies.

Moon stares at her for a moment. "That does sound wonderful. I'm glad you're back doll face. Make sure you visit your brother." Moon says sternly.

"Destiny will lead me into the unknown. But the unknown does not mean bad. It means new. But not everything can be new. Brother will always be with me." the girl whispers.