Chapter forty-six- Mirabella

Sixteen years ago

Sixteen years ago.

Ten year old Mirabella.

"Mirabella! I hope you're reading and not playing?!" Mother yells from her lab and I chuckle, peeking my head through the door to the secret passage.

"Can I play a little mamá? I've been reading nonstop."

Mother smiles at me with understanding. "My baby. You have to study hard if you want to become something. You need to develop a sharp mind."

I pout, giving her my puppy eyes and she chuckles. "Okay then pumpkin, ten minutes."

Thank you mamá! I run back in, pulling out all my toys with an ear to ear grin.

Since I've become knowledgeable, I've never been to school even for a day but mother says it's normal that I don't go to school.

She says that I'm undergoing special training, therefore, I need to always be by her side in the laboratory whilst she works. I sometimes want to make friends just like my sister but mother knows and wants the best for me.

Don't get me wrong, staying with my mother in her laboratory has to be the coolest thing ever.

I've after all learnt a lot of amazing things from my mother here in her laboratory. Like how to dilute some solutions, how to perform CPR, how to commence first aid treatment on a wounded person.

She lets me into her secret room where she keeps all the drugs, she has taken me to an underground warehouse where some very important drugs are being stored and she has taught me how to watch the security cameras.

Speaking of. . .

My eyes land on the screen and I see a man clothed in black approaching the laboratory.

Mother says no one is allowed to come in here except me. Not even my father.

Who's this man and why's he coming in here?

"Mamá!"

"sì piccola!"

"There's a man coming in here! I can see him through the camera!" I scream and she rushes into the secret room almost immediately, panic visible in her features and her eyes widened in terror.

"They're here," she mumbles, crouching down with both hands resting on my shoulder as her lips work fast at kissing my cheeks multiple times.

"Do you remember the thing I taught you? The one where you pretend not to remember anything?"

"Yes mamá. Just pretend to fall unconscious and then when you wake up, say that you're unable to remember and stand strong by your words."

She nods frantically. "Good girl. Now make sure to stay in here pumpkin. Even if you hear me screaming, remain in here until everyone has left, do you understand?" I nod.