Chapter thirteen- Mirabella

I'm home alone, I might as well put a call across to my associate and handle my own business

Exactly three days ago, about two hours after my very thoughtful husband violated me with his eyes and walked out of the room, I decided to go to the kitchen and help myself with something to calm my nerves.

While I made my way down the hall, my ears picked up on some inaudible chatter and being a curious personality that I am, I decided to listen in.

The closer I got to where the sound was coming from, the clearer I could hear what was being talked about. Matteo and his father seemed to have been in a heated argument about me?

"Father, I already told you many times before that I do not trust her father. This marriage is just an illusion; he's playing a game with us and we don't even know it."

Well, I didn't think I'd ever say this but my husband is a smart man.

"She's your wife regardless," Matteo's father had voiced.

"Only on paper!" Matteo snapped and silence ensued amongst them. "I do not see her as anything other than another human being living under the same roof as us, and I'll not introduce her to my business partners as my wife because she's not." Matteo had declared in a this is final tone.

"I understand how you—" his father tried to speak but Matteo made sure to cut him off.

"You understand nothing father. You'll never understand because it wasn't you," Matteo let out a shuddered breath.

"The best decision you could ever make for that girl is to get her far away from me as possible or I'll ruin her. I'll break her soul piece by piece until she's begging for death; and then I'll give her the worst kind of death. You don't want that for your daughter in law now father, do you?"

Cold shivers had run down my spine when I heard Matteo utter those words. It hurt so bad that my husband harbored those dark thoughts toward me.

And to think I was starting to look at him differently.

"Careful now Matteo, you have less than twenty four hours before you're declared the head of this fagmilia but I can change all of that if I will it." His father had threatened.

Matteo's laughter hysteria when his father was done threatening him. "You can keep your Don title father. You might be the Don, but I run this business and I hold more power than you could ever fathom."

"Still son, there's a certain kind of power that comes with that title; a power you so desperately desire for God knows what reason. And I promise you, that title will never be handed to you if you do not get your head out of your ass."

Matteo and his father continued their argument while I stood there frozen. I was confused about what to do or why Matteo agreed to this union if he hated it so much.