Eleven, Safe Word

Start from the beginning

             "Do you wanna, um, celebrate?" PJ asked her friend again. "We could get some chicken on a stick tonight," She turned to the redhead beside her. "Maybe you'd like to come as well?"

             Josie looked down. "Um— I can't. Uh..." The girl stayed quiet for a bit, thinking about the words she could best use. "Isabel and I have plans, so..."

            "You're hanging out with Isabel?" PJ asked in surprise.

            Estelle hadn't not seen it coming. The way the two'd been talking after the club yesterday was sign enough that something was brewing. Obviously nothing has happened yet, since Isabel is still together with Jeff. But Estelle would be much happier for Isabel if she were to get together with Josie. They're a way better match. Besides, Estelle wouldn't wish Jeff's company on anyone.

            "Yep." Josie was struggling to keep her excitement inside. So much so that her voice came out in a weird strangled tone. All along Hazel was still groaning on the floor.

            "Fuck, you're fast," PJ said to the girl. Estelle brought her gaze to the girl who'd taken her place behind one of the stands. She was laughing to something a man in a blue shirt was saying. "Oh, my God, okay. I have to keep up."

This time Hazel's groans were loud enough for PJ to turn around in one swift motion just as Hazel dropped her head to her knees. "Hazel," PJ turned her head towards the sounds. "What is wrong? Are you constipated or something?"

            "I'm fucking tired," She replied. "My mom was up all night fucking the meathead."

            "All night?" Estelle was astonished by the stamina on that woman.

            "What meathead?" Josie's attention was momentarily brought to a man walking past them. "Hi. Underwear, cars." She gave the man a flyer, sending him towards the cars.

            "You know, like, the guy," Hazel said vaguely. She looked at Estelle for backup, but she only gave her a strange look. She understood what the short–haired girl was trying to say, but she hadn't thought it so difficult. "He's like the crybaby," Josie and PJ still had no clue what she was saying. "With the balls? He catches them and he— he throws them. He's like the main guy."

            That gave Josie a hint of who she was talking to. "J— Jeff?" She spluttered, turning to Estelle. "Your Jeff? Is your mom hooking up with Jeff."

            "Stop saying that, please." Estelle groaned. Just the thought of it made her sick. At the time she laughed about it, but the more it happened, the more the laughter turned into cries.

            "I just thought Jeff might be her safe word." Hazel confessed. This was something she'd gaslighted herself into believing. It wasn't actually true.

            "Jeff is his name, you idiot." PJ raised her voice.

            This made Hazel finally look up at her. "Just get the hot people confused. Jesus."

            "Does this mean you guys are stepsisters now?" Josie asked, switching her gaze in between Estelle and Hazel.

            "Shut up," Estelle said. "Just shut up."

            Simultaneously with Stella tripping over her heels onto the car, Estelle crouched down next to Hazel. PJ and Josie were discussing whether Josie should tell Isabel or not. "You okay?" She asked Hazel. Estelle put a strand of short, dark hair behind her ear.

             "I'm fine, I guess." Hazel smiled. She didn't have much to smile about, but for Estelle she'd always conjure up a smile.

            "I can crack open a window tonight," Estelle offered. "You could climb in."