Cocoa, Cuddles, & Comfort

Hugo hummed quietly to himself as he cleaned up the kitchen after his lunch while his puppy Olivia yapped and jumped at his legs to get his attention. Chuckling Hugo filled her food dish.

“Yes Livvy, I know. I’ll feed you in a minute.” He walked over to the small mat in the corner of the kitchen and held the dish in one hand, the other extended in front of him.

“Olivia, sit.” Olivia did not sit. She barked and pawed at Hugo’s pant leg to get him to put her bowl down.

“No, Livvy. Sit.” Hugo repeated, firmer this time. Olivia cocked her head and slowly lowered her behind halfway down.

“All the way, girlie.” Hugo waited patiently until his dog settled herself down. She gazed up at him with big puppy dog eyes as if telling him she had done as he’d said and she would like to eat now. Smiling. Hugo set her food dish down and laughed when she immediately dove for it and shoved her muzzle into the kibble pellets. He knelt down and rubbed her ears affectionately.

“Good girl, Olivia.” Olivia’s tail wagged at the praise, but continued stuffing her face. Satisfied, Hugo walked over to the stove and prepared to make himself a cup of hot cocoa. He had just started heating the stove when he heard the apartment door open followed by a familiar voice.

“Hey, baby, I’m home.” Hugo switched off the stove and went to greet his boyfriend, smiling.

“You’re home early. Did you miss me that much?” Hugo teased as he wrapped his arms around Varian’s waist and gave him a peck on the lips. The shorter male smiled softly and returned the embrace, holding on tightly, nuzzling closer to Hugo’s embrace.

“Funny. I just finished early and Raps said I could come home early.” He replied. Hugo noticed how exhausted Varian sounded and frowned, holding him at arms length to examine him.

“What’s wrong? Are you okay? You’re not getting sick are you?” Hugo questioned, pressing the back of his hand to Varian’s cheek. 

“Hugh, I’m not sick. I just didn’t have the best day. I’m okay.” The alchemist replied, gently taking Hugo’s hand off his face and kissing it. Hugo nodded understandingly.

“Alright. Why don’t you go get comfy and I’ll make us some hot cocoa.” The blonde offered. Varian gave him a grateful, but tired smile and kissed him.

“You’re an angel. I’ll meet you out there.” Hugo smiled and got started on the drinks while Varian curled up on their couch, snuggled into one of Hugo’s hoodies. A few minutes later, Hugo joined him holding two steaming mugs of cocoa with Olivia trailing behind him. Varian took the mug Hugo gave him and took a tentative sip to check the temperature. Looking at the brown liquid, he saw 3 marshmallows bobbing on the surface. Just how Varian liked it. For some reason, that made Varian tear up. Hugo’s eyes widened.

“Shoot! Baby, did I not make it right? I’ll make a new one, just don’t cry.” Varian set his mug down and shook his head, sniffling.

“N-no, the cocoa’s fine- perfect even. I just- Today was awful.” Tears began to pour down Varian’s cheeks as he cried. Hugo made a sympathetic noise and pulled him into his arms, rubbing comforting circles on his back.

“I’m sorry you had such a terrible day, darling. Can I do anything to help?” Hugo asked as Varian cried into his shoulder. Varian let out a miserable little hiccup.

“Not unless you can make stupid inventions work when they’re supposed to.” 

Hugo frowned and kissed Varian’s head softly.

“I- I’m afraid I can’t do that. I’m also confused. Don’t you struggle with new inventions all the time? It’s part of the process of creating it.” Hugo said, hating seeing the love of his life so upset. Varian groaned miserably into the crook of Hugo’s neck.

“That’s the thing! It was completed and working fine! But when I went to present it to the entire royal family plus Eugene and his team of guards, it completely backfired! It didn’t work and I had told everyone beforehand that it would run smoothly! I tested it not even 10 minutes prior to the meeting and it was fine! But when I went to show everyone it did nothing. I was humiliated in front of the guards, the king and queen, Rapunzel and Eugene, and Nigel! Stupid, freaking Nigel!” Hugo held Varian while he vented and nodded listening intently.

“Oh, baby, that’s terrible. I’m so sorry that happened. There’s nothing you could have done though-” Varian interrupted Hugo.

“There’s always something I could have done! I just don’t know what. I’m such a failure.” Hugo rubbed his boyfriend's back as he broke down into sobs again, frowning.

“Stop. That’s not true and you know it. Look at me, Varian.” Hugo cupped Varian’s tearstained face and looked into his eyes.

“You did everything you could have beforehand. Sometimes engineering is just like that. It works one minute and the next it doesn’t. But that doesn’t make you a failure. You are not a failure Varian Ruddiger. And if you’re smart enough to complete the seven trials, then I’m sure you can figure out the problem with this new project of yours.” Varian sniffled as he listened to Hugo.

“But everyone thinks I’m a failure-”

“No they do not. Most of these people are your friends, and if they see you like I see you, then they see a genius alchemist and a wonderful person. And anyone who dares think otherwise isn’t worth your time, Varian.” Varian couldn’t argue with that logic. He sniffed and clumsily wiped at his tears.

“Sometimes I hate when you’re smarter than me.” He grumbled, cuddling closer to Hugo who let out a soft chuckle.

“I mean it though, Varian. You aren’t a failure. You just- you had a bit of a roadblock that’s all. You and I will figure it out together if that’s what you want.” Hugo said, running his fingers through Varian’s hair. The smaller man sighed and relaxed against Hugo.

“Yeah. Yeah, you and I together.” He agreed, nuzzling Hugo’s chest affectionately. He felt Hugo kiss his temple and he smiled softly and looked up at him.

“I love you, Hugo. Thank you for always being there for me.” Hugo smiled and pressed his forehead against Varian’s.

“Of course, love. That’s what I’m here for. I’d never let you be miserable on your own.” Varian closed his eyes and smiled.

“Shut up you sap.” He teased before crumpling against Hugo in fits of giggles. His boyfriend had started tickling his sides.

“Hugo! Quit it!”

“Not until you stop saying self deprecating things!”  

“Alright, alright you win! You win! Just stop tickling me already!” Hugo laughed and stopped his attack and kissed Varian’s still giggling lips.

“Made you laugh.”

“That’s because you forced me to, dummy!”

“Hey! Do you want me to tickle you again?”

“Don’t even think about it.” Hugo grinned and hugged Varian who snuggled close and snaked his arms around Hugo’s waist.

“You’re the best, Hugo.” 

“I know.” Varian groaned and rolled his eyes, but he stayed close to Hugo and basked in the warm comfort he always got from the love of his life.

~~~

A/N: Have some soft boys. As a treat. Also 20th chapter yay!