Two Mers Escaping Evil Pirates Not Five Feet Apart, Because They Are Gay

When rogue pirate Varian Ruddiger and undercover merman escaped into an abandoned cave, he had been convinced it was just that- an abandoned cave. He did not, however, plan to come into contact with an, albeit, very good looking merman who happened to be living there. But here he stood, gaping at the merman with his mouth hanging open. The merman stared back, but he seemed more irked at the intrusion then startled.
"Who are you?" The blonde creature asked Varian.
"I'm Varian. And you?"
"Hugo. You're a pirate?"
"I used to be, but my crew was going to murder me, so I went rogue." Varian cringed inwardly. Why had he just admitted that? The mer flicked his lime green tail languidly in the small pool he was lounging in, a few droplets of water spraying Varian.
"Let me guess, you need a place to hide until your former crew thinks you're dead?" Varian nodded sheepishly.
"Well, I was hoping for at least safe passage through, but I could use a safe place to lie low." He said, watching Hugo who had climbed up onto a stone ledge. Varian tried not to blush at the sight of his bare torso that connected to his scaled green tail.
"Well, pirate, perhaps we can come to an arrangement of sorts. If you bring me treasures, particularly of the golden kind and flatter me with compliments– because I know you like what you see, don't deny it. If you can do that, then I will not only grant you safe passage through, but I will let you stay. Have we got a deal?" Hugo asked with a cheeky grin. Varian bit the inside of his cheek. "Fine, I can bring you gold, I've got plenty on my ship. But don't expect compliments. You look completely average." Hugo raised one eyebrow with a disbelieving smirk. "Bring me gold and compliments or you can start planning your funeral. Something tells me that your crew followed you here." Varian opened his mouth to protest, but was silenced when he heard a familiar voice. Andrew. He had followed him.
"Okay, okay deal! Just please help me! Don't let him find me!" Varian exclaimed, shaking Hugo's hand. Hugo grinned, revealing two rows of sharp teeth. "Do you trust me?" No.
"Yes! Just hide me!" Varian cried as he listened to Andrew's voice come closer.
"Great. Can you swim?"
"Yes! I can swim! Now get me out of here already!"
"Alright, alright, calm down by Poseidon's beard!"
Hugo tugged Varian underwater with him. Varian yelped before holding his breath, clinging to Hugo's arm. Before he could even worry about the fact that this merman could very well be luring him to his doom, he looked down and saw his legs had been replaced with a tail. He looked at Hugo in shock. How had he known?!
"Hugo, how did you know I was a- a mer?" Varian asked. Hugo shrugged,
"You're marked. Only undercover mers have the kraken tattoo." Varian looked over at his bicep where he had the inked monster that showed other mers that he was one of them and to not take them to his watery grave. Now that he had transformed, it was glowing a faint blue. "Yeah, but you thought I was human until you saw the tattoo." He argued.
"False. I thought you were a cute human."
Varian blushed and tried to stutter out a response. Hugo laughed.
"Come on, I'm only teasing. Anyway, you should be safe here. Feel free to come and go when you feel like it. I'm always up for visitors if they're like you." He said. Varian tilted his head in thought. He could either leave when he was potentially safer and be forced to hide his true identity, or he could stay and not have to hide. He was leaning toward the latter option. So he wouldn't have to hide. Not because of the very charming Hugo. Nope. Not by Poseidon's beard.
"Hey Hugo."
"Yeah?"
"How do you feel like a roommate?" Hugo grinned.
"That sounds perfect."
"I'll make sure to get you your treasure." Varian added. Hugo shook his head.
"Nah, don't bother. I only use that bargain for humans. Consider my friendship as compensation." Varian smiled softly. He'd found himself a friend. And maybe they could be something more. That was better than any other escape plan.