Pain Meds And Teddy Bears

Varian sat in the waiting room of the dentist's office scrolling on his phone while he waited for his boyfriend's wisdom teeth removal to be finished.

For a while, Hugo had gone a long time without any dental issues, but lately his wisdom teeth had been paining him almost constantly. It had taken a fair amount of conversation for Varian to learn that his stubborn boyfriend had been in pain for much longer than he had let on, only finding out something was wrong when Hugo had stopped chewing his food and started trying to swallow everything whole. Not only did it concern Varian, but it also presented a serious choking hazard.

After a lot of convincing and cuddles, Hugo had agreed to finally have the procedure done. Varian would be lying if he said he wasn't worried about his lover. Hugo had never been a fan of dentist visits from the start and the procedure had been a touchy subject during the days before. The freckled boy just hoped Hugo had calmed down enough with the anesthesia that the dentist would be able to be done as soon as possible. He was drawn from his thoughts by a hygienist in blue scrubs coming into the waiting area.

"You must be Varian. Doctor Iveth is all finished. I'll take you to Hugo." Varian let out the breath he'd been holding and stood.

"Thank you. Is he alright?" The hygienist let out a chuckle as she led him back.

"He's mostly okay. The anesthesia and pain meds just have him acting.... A bit wonky." Varian was about to ask what that meant when he heard Hugo's voice from outside the room. He couldn't help but giggle when the nurse opened the door to let him in. Poor Hugo's cheeks were puffy with gauze and swelling and his eyes were droopy. That wasn't the icing on the bloody cake, however. The lanky blonde was mumbling mostly incoherently, but Varian managed to pick a few things out.

"I miss Varian. I want my Vare-Bear. I'm lonely and sad without him." Hugo whined pitifully as he snuggled the teddy bear he had gotten not long after he'd been given the pain meds.

"You get me, Mr. Snuffles." He added rubbing his swollen cheek against the bear. Varian smiled to himself and walked over to the chair and took Hugo's hand in his.

"Hugo, hunny, it's me. We can go home now." Hugo's head lolled sleepily over in the direction of Varian's voice and his face lit up.

"Varian! You're back! Mr. Snuffles said you wouldn't, but what does he know?" Varian choked back his laughter and kissed Hugo's nose.

"Not much, considering I drove you here. Now come on, let's get you home." Hugo nodded his head seriously as he let Varian pull him out.

"Mr. Snuffles is just jealous of what we have." Slurred the taller male matter-of-factly. Varian shook his head fondly as he buckled Hugo into the car.

"Yes, I'm sure that's it. You and Mr. Snuffles just need to relax and get some rest, okay? We'll be home soon." Hugo mumbled out a response as Varian drove home amused at Hugo's unintelligible babbling.

~~~

Hugo woke up several hours later with a throbbing mouth and a teddy bear tucked under his arm. What had happened to make him feel so shitty? He reached up to feel his jaw before a gentle hand stopped him.

"Ah, ah, no touching the wounds. You need to let them heal, Hugo." His vision came into focus as Varian slid his glasses onto his face.

"M'what happened?"

Varian chuckled softly.

"You, my dear, just had your wisdom teeth removed this morning."

Ah. That was it. Hugo cringed inwardly.

"How high was I on the anesthesia and pain meds?" Varian gave him an amused grin.

"Let's just say you and Mr. Snuffles had some very interesting conversations on the way home."

"Who's Mr. Snuffles?"

Varian giggled. "The bear, Hugo."

Hugo groaned and rolled over so his face was hidden in Varian's chest, unceremoniously tossing Mr. Snuffles to the side as he did.

"This is the worst!"

Varian laughed and rubbed Hugo's back sympathetically. "I brought you ice cream if you want it."

"God, yes please. I feel like dirt." Hugo relaxed as a kiss was planted on his head.

"Now or later?" Hugo thought for a few minutes.

"Later. I just want to cuddle right now."

"Okay, but Mr. Snuffles might get jealous."

Hugo groaned again as he sank into his boyfriend's arms.

"Shut up."

Varian simply giggled and started playing with Hugo's hair until he fell asleep again. He'd show him the videos later.

~~~

A/N: Hey guys! Apologies for such a late update! My summer schedule has been crazy so far! I'm going to try for more regular updates, but I'm still pretty busy. August is my least crazy month, so hopefully I can update more frequently then.