Fencing 101

Varian sat on the sidelines of the training arena watching Eugene and his opponent fencing with each other. It was low key, kind of amusing as Eugene was struggling to dodge his opponents attacks, while the mysterious other half of the match had one hand behind his back.

"What's going on, Gramps. Thought you said you were good at this." Varian chuckled to himself at his boyfriend's jibe at the captain of the guard. Of course Hugo would choose to fence with Eugene, if only to tease him.

"Hardy har har, Four Eyes. I can take you down. I'm just going easy on you." The older man replied although he sounded just a tad bit winded. Hugo smirked under his face protector and jabbed his foil at Eugene's chest, taking him down to the ground.

"You were saying?" The blonde taunted, lifting the helmet to grin smugly at his opponent. Eugene glared at him and huffed.

"I let you win." He grumbled, but accepted the hand Hugo offered him to help him up.

"Sure, sure. If that's what you need to tell yourself, Cap." The blonde retorted with a smirk. Eugene growled quietly and pulled his hand away from Hugo, his pride wounded. Varian snickered and walked over.

"Hugo, don't be mean to my brother. It's not his fault he's losing his touch. He's been busy with lots and hasn't had time to practice, I'm sure." Eugene stood a little straighter at Varian's remarks.

"Thank you, Hairstripe. Hugo, follow his example." Hugo smirked and draped an arm across his boyfriend's shoulders.

"But where's the fun in that?" He teased, batting his eyelashes innocently at Eugene who rolled his eyes and left, muttering something about a meeting. Varian turned to Hugo and gave him a reprimanding look.

"Must you antagonize him every time you two are together?" He asked, raising an eyebrow. Hugo grinned.

"Of course, it's fun. And he's totally asking for it." He replied before noticing the look his boyfriend was giving him.

"But if it would make you feel better, I'll do my best to be nice to him."

Varian smiled and rewarded Hugo with a kiss.

"That's what I like to hear." He said smiling at Hugo who blushed and pulled his fencing mask back down over his face, thoroughly flustered.

"Stop looking at me like that, Goggles." He said, making Varian laugh. Reaching over, the shorter male removed the mask from his boyfriend's face.

"But you're so cute when you get all blushy and flustered." He teased, rubbing his nose against Hugo's, causing him to flush even redder.

"Shuddup." Hugo grumbled, trying to hide his face again. Varian chuckled, but stopped. He wasn't about to ruin his boyfriend's "bad-boy aesthetic".

"Okay, okay. I'll stop. But you have to teach me to fence." Hugo looked at him quizzically.

"You want to learn how to fence? Why?" The blonde asked, tilting his head like a confused puppy. Varian shrugged.

"It just looks interesting. And if you teach me, I'm sure I'll be great." He replied, leaning up close to Hugo's face.

"Come on. You think I can't handle a challenge, Golden Boy?" He asked, mostly just to watch Hugo turn red again. It did the trick and Hugo pouted and poked Varian in the chest.

"Unfair persuasion tactic. But it worked. I'll teach you how to fence." Hugo said, knowing Varian wasn't going to stop being so damn flirty until he got his way. The smile he was rewarded with made it all worth it.

"But Var, you'll need proper gear first." Hugo said taking his boyfriend to find all the right pieces of the uniform that would fit.

~~~

About 30 minutes later, Hugo had taught Varian the basics of fencing and now they were having their first match.

"Come on Hugo, don't go easy on me because I'm learning." Varian teased, aiming a jab at Hugo's chest, which he narrowly dodged.

"I'm not going easy on you Stripes. You're sure you've never done this before?" Hugo said incredulously. He knew Varian was a fast learner and would probably pick up the basics quickly, but so far, Hugo was getting his ass kicked. He heard Varian laugh and the next thing Hugo knew, he was flat on the ground, with the tip of a foil inches from his chest.

"Told you I'm a fast learner." Varian said, lifting his helmet to smirk at Hugo who felt his face grow warm. Why did he look so good from this angle?

"Speechless, Hugh? Am I really that good?" Teased the smaller alchemist, quirking a brow at Hugo. Clearing his throat, the blonde regained his composure.

"Alright, not bad for your first try, V. That was beginner's luck. Let's go again."

And again they went. And again Hugo wound up on his ass, gazing up at his smug boyfriend.

"How are you so good? It took me months to figure out how to win!" Hugo exclaimed, utterly confused. Varian laughed.

"I had a good teacher. Best two out of three?" He said. Hugo pouted at him and stood.

"Alright. This round you won't get so lucky, though." He said, readying himself. Varian smirked at him as he lowered his face guard.

"We shall see about that, dearest." He said ominously. Hugo braced himself and lowered his own face mask.

"Begin." He said, thinking he had predicted Varian's first move. He hadn't. Instead of coming straight at Hugo, Varian had maneuvered himself behind Hugo and aimed a jab at his back. Hugo didn't have time to dodge and the end of the brunettes foil jabbed the back of his uniform. Hugo whirled around to attempt a blow to Varian's side, but the male had anticipated this and deftly blocked Hugo's foil. Hugo stumbled and tried to right himself, but Varian saw his chance and took the blonde down by knocking his foil against Hugo's arm. Hugo cursed as he went down and peered up at Varian who had the most beautiful, triumphant grin on his face. He really couldn't be mad at that face. Lifting the face mask, Hugo smiled back at his boyfriend.

"The student has become the teacher. You're quite good, Varian." He said, accepting his defeat with grace and standing. His boyfriend beamed at him and kissed him.

"Like I said, great teacher." Hugo blushed at the praise and held Varian's hand.

"Let's get changed, yeah?" Varian nodded.

"Yeah, and then you can make me hot cocoa while I get first dibs on the shower." Hugo gasped.

"Hey! You little shit! Get back here!" Hugo said, giving chase when Varian darted for the shower, cackling.

"Losers don't get first showers, babe!" Varian taunted as he closed and locked the bathroom door. He could be heard snickering from the shower while Hugo pouted and made the hot cocoa. It was a good thing he loved Varian so much.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A/N:
Hey everyone! I apologize for the lack of updates! Writer's block hit me like a brick and I was pretty busy with other stuff outside of writing. I can't promise a lot of updates yet since I'm still quite busy and struggling to come up with ideas, but I hope you enjoy this new one shot! Thank you guys for your patience! Ily all platonically! <3