Hold Me Through The Night And I'll Be Okay

Varian sat at his desk working on his latest project scowling at the blueprints. Out of the blue a bloodcurdling scream startled him and Varian sprinted to the lab. What he saw made his heart stop. Amber crystals were slowly encasing Hugo who was crying out in agony.
"Varian!! Help me please! Get me out!" Varian tried to rush forward, but it seemed his legs were stuck. "H-Hugo hang on! I'll get you out!" Varian broke from the invisible restraints and bolted to the amber and his Hugo. But it was too late. By the time Varian had gotten there, Hugo was completely encased. Varian gasped and let out an agonized wail. It happened again! It was his fault! Wait- no it wasn't! It wasn't his fault. Another voice in the cold, empty room chilled Varian to the bone.
"What have you done, Varian? You traitor!" Rapunzel stood in the doorway looking angry and horror-stricken.
"I-it wasn't me! I didn't do it! I love him!" Varian cried and clawed at the amber, panic and terror settling into his gut. Hugo was gone and he wasn't coming back. Rapunzel wouldn't help him. No one would help him. Varian was alone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"-arian! Varian wake up! You're having a nightmare!" Hugo shook his screaming fiance. Varian let out a strangled wail as he bolted upright from the sudden motion. "I didn't do it! It's not my fault!" Hugo's heart broke at the sight of his terrified lover.
"Hey, hey, hey, it's okay. Just breathe Varian, breathe. You're safe. It was just a nightmare." He slowly reached out and ran his hands comfortingly up and down Varian's arms while he got his bearings. It took a bit of time for Varian's rapid breathing to slow to a calmer pace and the wild look in his eyes to vanish. Once he had gotten his bearings enough, Varian surged into Hugo's arms with a sob.
"Hugo.... You're here. You're here. The amber- it encased you.... Not my fault....." He wept, gripping Hugo tightly, his words muffled against his chest. Hugo quickly wrapped his arms tightly around Varian and rubbed soothing circles on his back.
"Yes, I'm right here Var. It's all okay now. There's no amber. I'm okay. Nothings ever going to take me away from you." He'd almost added 'I promise', but he wasn't sure how Varian would react to that in the state he was in. Slowly, Varian's sobs quieted to small sniffles and hiccups.
"Sorry I woke you up." Varian said softly. Hugo frowned.
"Hey, hey no don't apologize. You couldn't help it." The blonde reprimanded gently.
"It's been years..... Why does it still hurt?"
"I don't know. But I do know that no matter what happens, I will never leave you. I'm here for you always, Varian. Never forget that." Hugo said cupping his lover's cheek and stroking away the remaining tears. Varian hiccuped softly and melted into the touch. "Okay. I'll try."
Hugo smiled softly. "Good. Think you can go back to sleep?" Varian hesitated before slowly nodding, "Yeah, I think so."
Hugo pressed a soft kiss on his fiance's lips. "I love you, Varian." Varian didn't respond. He had fallen asleep. Hugo let out a soft chuckle and pulled the covers back over himself and the man he loved so much. Neither of them woke up again that night.