Can I Ask You A Question?

It was Hugo and Varian's 5 year anniversary and Hugo wanted it to be perfect. He had a plan to take Varian out to the docks for a moonlit boat ride (idea courtesy of Rapunzel) and then when the time was just right, he was going to ask a very important question. He was going to propose Hugo spent all month planning for this day and nothing was going to ruin it. Right? Right.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"What do you mean you have to delay our date Varian?! It's our anniversary!" Hugo was pacing the lab floors in a stressed and confused way. How could his plans be ruined by a simple phrase? And by Varian of all people!
"I'm sorry Hugo, but something came up. And I didn't say I was delaying it forever. I only said we had to push it back by a couple hours. I swear we'll still do everything you had planned tonight, Hugo. I just have a few things I need to do first." Varian explained gently, pressing a chaste kiss to Hugo's lips. Hugo grumbled something under his breath, still obviously disappointed.
"Hey, look at me. I know this is last minute and you're disappointed, but it'll all work out. I'll meet you at the docks at 8:00 instead of 7:00, deal?" Varian suggested cupping Hugo's cheek so he'd have to look at him. Hugo sighed, "Okay, deal. Don't be late?"
Varian smiled softly and kissed him. "I wouldn't miss it." That was good enough for Hugo.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It was almost 8:00 exactly and there was no sign of Varian. Hugo was trying not to worry as he sat in the boat staring out at the dock, absently running his fingers across Olivia's shiny head,  hoping for a glimpse of a familiar teal hair stripe.
"Come on, V. Where are you?" Just when Hugo was about to give up hope and head home a pair of arms wrapped around his torso from behind.
"I'm sorry I was almost late, but I got caught up. I had to pick up a few things." Varian explained as he rested his chin on Hugo's shoulder. Hugo almost sagged with relief.
"It's alright Var, I'm just glad you made it. What did you need to pick up?" He asked, turning to press a kiss to Varian's cheek. His boyfriend just gave him a cheeky grin.
"It's a surprise for later." Varian said, returning the kiss happily. Hugo chuckled, "Well, I've got a surprise in store for you too. But first, we eat!" He said procuring a picnic basket from under the seat of the boat. "I made your favorite." He proudly showed off the ham sandwiches inside. Varian beamed, "Oh my stars, I love you so much!" Varian said, snagging one of the sandwiches for himself and digging in. Hugo smiled and watched him eat. Varian really had no right to look so cute eating a stinking sandwich! After the fine dining experience the couple sat in the boat and talked, reminiscing about the past five years together. Hugo felt his heart flutter as he realized the time for his big question was getting near and he had no idea how he was going to ask. He finally just decided to do it. Hugo took a deep breath and in the very picture of elegance he blurted out, "Will you marry me, Varian?" Varian stopped mid ramble and looked over, his freckled cheeks flushing pink. "Erm- sorry what?" He asked, half thinking he'd misheard Hugo's question. Hugo felt his own face grow warm and he cleared his throat nervously. "Varian I love you more than words can say and I want to spend the rest of my life with you. You're my best friend and I feel like I can trust you with my life. So..... will you marry me?" He said with an awkward attempt at his usual cocky grin. Varian blinked at him with his mouth hanging open. This did nothing to ease Hugo's nerves in the slightest.
"Eeeeeh, Goggles? You okay? Look I'm sorry if this is too soon or whatever!"
"Hugo-"
"I just thought since we've been together for 5 years I thought it was a good time to ask, but I guess I was wrong."
"Hugo!"
"You know what, forget I even asked! I'll just put the ring away and– mmph!" Hugo's panicked rambling was abruptly cut off when Varian launched himself at him and kissed him passionately before pulling away with tear filled eyes.
"Hugo, are you insane?! Of course I'll marry you! Yes yes yes yes yes!!" Varian exclaimed his bright blue eyes filled with emotion. Hugo let out a shaky sigh and beamed at his boyfriend- no his fiance. Varian was his fiance now!
"I will admit, you had me worried for a second when you didn't answer me right away, V." Hugo said, wrapping his arms around the smaller male. Varian let out a nervous chuckle, "Well, I had a good reason." Hugo adjusted his arms around Varian when he noticed him shifting to get something out of his pocket. The blonde watched curiously while Varian pulled out a small, glittering object and- holy Demanatis!
"Varian, do not tell me you were planning to ask me!" Hugo exclaimed, when Varian held the ring out to show him smiling shyly.
"Okay, I won't." Hugo laughed and pulled his fiance back over to him for a kiss.
"Why are we like this?"
"Because great minds think alike, Hugo."
"Did you just say I have a great mind?" Varian groaned as Hugo snickered.
"Hey, Hugo."
"Yeah, Varian?"
"Shut up and kiss me." Hugo let out a fond chuckle, leaning in.
"I thought you'd never ask."