And I'm a stranger

"Emrin? We came to check on you. You behaved strange last night," said Delanay.

         "Yeah man. You didn't inform me that you're back." added Parker.

He looks genuinely worried.

I kept staring at them for a while, when Ana broke the silence

          "I think you guys should give him some space," said Ana.

          "Can I talk to you alone, Emrin?" asked Delanay.

I nodded my head in response.

             "How are you, Em?"

             "I- I don't know where to begin. I guess, I'll start with an apology. I know it sounds childish but, the whole time I was away because- because I thought you were dead."

               "Ho-"

               "Don't ask me how Delanay. I don't have answers for now."

She held my hand and started rubbing my palm.

              "Ok don't. Take your time. I believe you Emrin. Last night you weren't yourself. I think you took it very bad Jeremy's betrayal."

              "Jeremy's betrayal?"

              "Jeremy wasn't doing well financially and you know him, he've always had big plans for life. He was never the one to settle for less. He started taking loans from money lenders and was caught in debt."

I was speechless, utterly speechless.

               "Remember while you were working on Dr. Adams case and one of the files was lost. Seems like Jeremy took an interest in him."

               "Don't say that he started working with him," I was fuming.

I couldn't believe that. How could he do that? Maybe that is why that mad doc escaped from my claws several times. If I had caught him earlier, then many innocent laughs would be giggling in this world. I kicked the table to vent out my agony.

Ana and Parker rushed inside.

               "Emrin? You're scaring Delanay."

Then I look at her, she doesn't look scared but surprised. She keeps looking at me with her emerald eyes, trying to recognise the person who she once loved. There's no warmth in her eyes like old times. I can say that she has lost her trust in me, and- and I'm a stranger.

                "Excuse me," I went to balcony to get some air.

                 "Can I come in?"

                 "Parker?"

                   " Let me in bro. I've been your confidant always. Trust me."

                    " I don't know man what to belive anymore."

                     " You're not taking it well Emrin. We all are with you, let us help you."

                    "Help right? You can help me by saying the complete story of Jeremy."

                    "Give it a rest Em."

                    "Parker please."

                     "If you say so, bro. Jeremy went deep in the greed. The Adams did a pretty good job clouding his mind. And those who are blinded by greed, seldom finds their way back."

                      "How did he die?"

                       "We're not certain but from the evidences we found, it seems like- like he made a deal to sell the soul to the devil."

                        "Who would sell their own soul?"

                         "Not his. I don't know who's soul he wanted to give, but he failed and paid the consequences himself. He got killed on 31st October."

I was told the same story by Jeremy like figure that I met, the only difference was it was Parker instead of Jeremy.

                   "Parker after how long are you meeting me?"

                   "10 and half months."

                   "Hmmmm. How was Delanay after I left?"

                  "She was broken Emrin. She wouldn't leave her room for months."

                   "She must hate me."

                   "She doesn't. She could never hate you. But she needs time to trust you again."

I was beyond happy to see that Delanay and Parker are alive. Sometimes you're so happy that you don't feel happiness at all, it feels like you're floating in sky. My dream came true, everything I saw that night was a lie. I couldn't be happier.

                   "Time is something we both need. She needs it to be able to trust me again and I need it to resolve my issues. I need to keep my distance from her because it's just confirmed that the evil is still lurking around."