Interlude 2 - Dreams of the Dreamers

The soul known as Melody on Earth, who was known as Angel in the heavens, turned excitedly to the Angel of the Lord as she watched the souls who captured the attention of the heavens, specifically all those who were faithful to the Lord. She'd been there long enough to recognize that two of those souls who were her Mama and Papa in her last life, were known in the heavens as Cadence and Jayln. She knew their lives were being closely followed by the heavenly hosts and that the Lord considered them to be amongst His faithful. She also knew they had a gift which enabled them to experience a certain kind of dream. Angel was aware enough of what was happening on the Earth to know her Earthly family was currently visiting others who had been similarly blessed with dreams. She'd even heard rumors of a wager concerning Cadence and Jayln, made in a time before she and her soulmate existed, between the Lord of the heavens and Lucifer, the fallen one. She didn't know much about that, but she did know when something happened which affected those she loved down on the Earth.

"Mama and Papa are going to visit Ezra tomorrow," Melody declared excitedly as her family on the Earth turned in for the night.

"That is what they and their family have planned," the Angel of the Lord agreed.

"Can I tell him?" Melody asked. "Can I share with him what I know?"

"Only your soulmate?" the angel asked. "You know he doesn't know you as you are, but only as you were."

Melody's little girl form wavered some as she considered that. The last time she and her soulmate were together on the Earth, she was not much bigger than the size she was now, but she was a woman. Her name was Misty then. They had a child together, and for a moment her image of herself wavered and shifted to who she was then. When it did, it made it harder for her to see her mama and her papa and those from her Earthly family below who were still living now. In her heart she knew if she did, it would become almost impossible to shift back. Her best connection with those she loved for the time being were those from her most recent life, when she was a little girl, and she retook the form of Melody instead.

After a moment of considering that, she asked, "Can I tell Jessie instead?"

The angel considered her question, consulting those who guarded the curtain between the living and those here.

"Consider well who you will tell," the angel advised.

Melody nodded. She focused again on the girl she most recently was and reached out to her one-time sister as her earth-bound soul slept.

The curtain wavered, becoming uncommonly thin, enabling Melody to visit her family as she sometimes did.

^^^

"Melody?" Jessie looked up in her dream at the little girl who sometimes visited her in her sleep.

"Hi," Melody told her. "You're going to visit Ezra tomorrow," she blurted out.

Jessie studied the little girl's form. "Ezra?"

Melody's face momentarily lost its childish appearance. "My Ezra," she repeated, sounding momentarily more mature than she ever did in life.

"I don't know anyone named Ezra," Jessie told her.

"I know. You will. Remember him. Please? For me?" Melody asked.

"He's important to you?" Jessie guessed.

Melody nodded. "Like Bertie is to you."

"Oh!" Jessie exclaimed aloud, even though she was asleep.

Melody smiled as her face regained the appearance her earthly family knew best.

"You are waiting for him," Jessie suggested as she watched in fascination as her sister's form changed.

Melody's face erupted into a glowing smile. She nodded ever so slightly.

"Tell him 'Hi'," Melody requested.

"I will," Jessie promised. She watched as her sister's face continued to waver. "Are you Misty too?" she asked.

Melody nodded, and the dream faded away, becoming the type of dream Jessie would remember when she woke up in the morning.

^^^

Melody visited several others of those she loved on that night, causing them to dream. Some were memories, some were new, but she hoped with the help of the Angel of the Lord, at least one of them would remember the message she delivered, a message she hoped would help them when it came time for those she loved, to join her in the presence of the Lord.

c