Chapter 16 - Holidays

Except for the fact they were celebrating the holiday on a Friday, Thanksgiving that year felt normal in every respect. As usual, they ate in the cottage where there was plenty of room and the family could all spread out. Neil, Rosemary, and LeeAnn came for the day, increasing the number of children present by one. Greg considered all these people his immediate family. To him it was only Bert and Kevin Goodman, who joined them too, who were guests. Even so, their total number equaled twenty. There was no denying their family was growing.

"I'm surprised to see you here," Neil told his stepfather frankly after their meal. "I thought you were obligated to be in New York these days."

"I am most of the time. However, I do get selected days off," Greg told him. "I believe I am equally surprised to see you, Rosemary and the family here. Aren't you still in school in Colorado?"

"I am. I am taking my last set of finals as soon as I get back, and my thesis should be ready to present about the same time. My studies are in fairly decent shape, which is why we decided I could afford to take the time off for a visit to California this week. I expect to have my degree by the end of December," Neil shared.

Greg broke into a grin. "Your mother would be so proud! I am too. Congratulations, Neil."

"Thank you," Neil replied.

"Will there be a graduation ceremony?" Greg asked.

"Only a small one. The main graduation ceremony for the year won't take place until June. I am welcome to come back to go through the ceremony then, however it's entirely possible Rosemary and I will no longer be in Colorado by June," Neil told him.

"Oh?" Greg asked.

"A position I was eventually hoping for is expected to open in Santa Cruz next spring. I'm applying. I don't know what my chances are, however if I'm accepted, we'll be back in California early next year," Neil shared.

"Then perhaps you should go through the ceremony this year," Greg suggested.

"I plan to," Neil told him.

"I will do my best to be there," Greg promised.

"Thank you." Neil was smiling, pleased Greg cared enough to want to come, whether or not he managed it.

"Do you have other options if the position in Santa Cruz doesn't work out?" Greg asked.

"There is also the Menlo Park office. That's not quite as ideal for me, though it would be better for Rosemary, and for LeeAnn too. I understand the schools in that area are very good," Neil told him.

"You might want to talk to Susan. She lived in that area for a while before the crash. Both Matthew and Zackary were born there," Greg reminded him.

"I will. Thanks for the suggestion," Neil told him.

Greg smiled. "I will pray for you."

"Thank you. Rosemary and me need all the guidance and inspiration we can get," Neil replied.

"I will keep that in mind. Also, do let me know if you need temporary help with housing in the Bay Area later this year," Greg advised.

"Oh?" Neil asked.

"I am currently renting Reuben's house in Oakland through next June, possibly longer, both to help Matthew out and to give Susan a place to stay in the area when she needs to be there for work. They are both there intermittently and only part time. If it turns out you need a place to stay, perhaps I could help you out," Greg offered.

Neil grinned. "Thank you. We will definitely be in touch. And I'll let you know about graduation, whenever it is," Neil promised.

"Thank you," Greg remarked. "If at all possible, I will attend."