Chapter 36 - The Message of Mr. Dunham

"That was interesting," Susan remarked when the recording and broadcasting session at the Irish radio station in Dublin was finished for the day.

The Abernathys left the offices there together, initially planning to return to their hotel. Although it was relatively late in the day, due to the time of year the sun was still high in the sky. So they decided to walk to see more of the city, and possibly find a place to eat along the way.

"It was," Greg agreed.

"Papa, how come your cousin Gary knows so much about what happened to Papa Harald after he got captured?" Jessie wanted to know.

"I don't know, Jessie. I couldn't get Gary to tell me exactly. He was much more interested in what I could tell him from my dreams and memories than he was in telling me what he knew. But I suspect he knows because he remembers," Greg told her.

"Do you mean he dreams about it, the way we do?" Jessie asked.

"I suspect he does, which is what might have prompted Gary's recognition of and fascination with this phenomenon you and I and Mama have been dealing with in our own way for years," Greg replied.

"What do you mean, in our own way?" Jessie asked.

"By talking about it amongst ourselves and using what we learn to try to help people," Greg reminded her.

"What is Gary's way?" Jessie asked.

"Gary is dealing with it by asking questions and incorporating that process into his radio program. From what I know of him, Gary started out as an investigative reporter. Along the way, he stumbled upon someone who knew a bit of the story about Harald, and he began weaving that story into the fabric of his show. From there, he built on it, looking for guests who have memories of Harald or memories which seem connected in order to weave it into a story that apparently fascinates some of his listeners," Greg explained. "Of course, he deals with other spiritual and supernatural, and para-normally inspired topics on his show too. But I got the impression from my conversation with him today, both on the air and off, that the story he has built up about Harald is a bit more personal to him than the stories he investigates on those other topics as a form of entertainment."

"Those other topics remind me a bit of stories about ancient aliens or modern alien encounters you see sometimes on TV," Susan remarked.

Jessie wrinkled her nose at the suggestion. "It does not, Mama!" she protested.

"Why do you say that?" Greg asked.

"Because our stories are true. Those other stories are just ridiculous," Jessie declared.

"And yet to some people, I am sure they think their stories are as real and important to them as ours are to us," Susan told her. "I can see why Gary chose to deal with this by including it in a show like he has. It makes it more palatable to the average listener, I would think, while still giving him a platform for getting his message out."

"How do you mean?" Jessie asked.

"The stories Gary's guests tell make people stop and think. For anyone with dreams or memories like ours, the story he tells about Harald is likely to resonate as true, because they have experienced something similar or they were there," Susan offered.

"You mean like Mr. Dunham," Jessie reflected.

"Yes, exactly. To him, the story Papa and Gary were discussing not only resonated as true, it brought to the surface some task given to him by the Lord which he has been charged to do," Susan reminded her.

"Oh." Jessie fell silent for a while as they walked, thinking about that. "Papa rescued a lot of people. There could be a lot of people who remember him."