Chapter 20 - Another Fulcrum?

The Wilsons arrived at Greg and Susan's home in New York early in the evening on Monday. Greg arrived about an hour earlier following the matinee and had spent the time hearing about David and Sarah's experience, seeing the play with their families.

Meanwhile, out in the hall, the Wilsons hesitated before ringing the bell.

"John, are you sure it's okay for us to be here?" Karen hedged as they stood at the front door with their two children, about to ring the bell. "After all, it is Greg's holiday today."

"It is, and he assured me they will celebrate come dinnertime. Personally, I feel it is an honor to have been invited to join them, and a rare opportunity to take a closer look at a holiday honored by our brethren," John told her. "We did this once before."

"Yes, I know, John, which is why I'm hesitating," Karen told him.

John did his best not to frown.

"It's okay, Mummy," Peter told her. "Mr. Abernathy knows we practice a different religion."

"Yes, I know he does, Peter. I just don't want to be rude," Karen insisted.

"What is rude is standing here, talking about it, right outside their door," John scolded. With that, he rang the bell.

^^^

Susan opened the front door. "Welcome!"

"Thank you, Susan," John told her. "I apologize in advance for being a few minutes late. Karen was having second thoughts just now."

"About joining in with our discussion about dreamers and past lives?" Susan wondered.

"About Chanukah. How do you do Chanukah?" Karen asked her friend. "The last time we were at your house for dinner during the holiday it was a big event."

"Tonight's dinner will be relatively small," Susan assured her.

"So, what do you do?"

Susan smiled. "I serve Greg and his family dinner, then sit back and watch. It's a relatively minor celebration on the Jewish calendar as these things go. It's only become more of an event due to the cultural influence here in America."

"The Jewish cultural answer to Christmas?" John suggested.

"In a way, though I doubt most of my family would agree with that suggestion," Greg remarked as he emerged from the hall leading to his study. "Welcome."

"Thank you, Mr. Abernathy," Peter said politely, eagerly stepping across the threshold.

"Jessie is in the family room," Susan directed.

"Cool," Peter replied, and he immediately went looking for her.

John and Karen were still exchanging pleasantries with Greg and Susan in the entry hall with the front door open behind them when Rabbi Tabor and his wife Donna came down the hall towards them, coming from the elevator. About that same time, Rabbi Sloane and his wife Sarah came down the stairs from the second floor of Greg and Susan's home.

Sarah grinned at them all. "I am so pleased we are finally all here. It is good to see you, Nan. Welcome Johnathan."

"Thank you," John replied to her in surprise.

"And I see that Zebadiah and Daria are both here," Sarah continued as the Tabors stepped across the threshold and Susan closed the door.

"Who?" Susan asked, looking at them all.

"Sarah is using our names from our first life," Rabbi Sloane explained.

"From the time they lived at the Master's House," Greg added.