Chapter 21 - Company for Christmas

As soon as the Sloane's taxi drove away, Susan changed her focus from Chanukah to Christmas.

"What are your family's plans for Christmas this year, Susan? Are they coming?" Greg asked as they ate Sunday supper together that evening, after the matinee performance of his play.

"Zack, Kelly, and Milly are. They should be here around dinner time tomorrow and will stay through New Year's. Matt and Ashley have decided to visit Michael in Seattle this year. They were just with us at Thanksgiving, and I see Matt relatively often these days, so I'm fine with that, really," Susan shared.

"You mean, you don't mind sharing," Greg guessed, correctly reading the expression on his wife's face.

She was trying her best to be okay with the situation. Logically, Matt's reasoning made a certain amount of sense. But he could tell Susan was on some level disappointed. She typically preferred the years when all her family could be with them.

"Would you like me to help you put the tree up tomorrow?" Greg asked. "I have the day off."

"Do you think we should have a professionally decorated tree again this year?" Susan questioned.

"I don't believe so. I have no plans to entertain here between now and the end of the year, though I may come January," Greg remarked.

"Oh? You know I won't be here most of January," Susan reminded him.

"Which is why I was considering holding a gathering on the first Monday evening in January. You will still be here, and most of the holidays for our theater company will be behind us," Greg described.

"And the decision about holiday decorations will be behind us," Susan recognized.

"Exactly. Also, when it comes to your Christmas tree, both you and the family mentioned that although decorators' tree was lovely, it also had a sterile feeling about it. I tend to agree. Given that, my feeling was, you might prefer to decorate it yourself this year," Greg explained.

"That would be wonderful, Greg. We could make it about family, provided you would be willing to help," Susan remarked.

"I am," Greg assured her, and Susan smiled.

"Mondays are an odd day for a party, but I agree, since your theater is closed on Mondays, that could work for January too," Susan observed.

"That was my thinking," Greg agreed, and Susan's smile grew even broader.

"Perhaps you could help me shop for a tree and bring it home tomorrow morning. I thought we could decorate tomorrow evening after Zack and his family arrive," Susan shared.

"We can do that," Greg told her.

"I think it sounds like fun, Mama, especially since I don't have school next week," Jessie added. "Can Bertie and Mrs. Goodman come to help?"

"I think that is a very good idea. I know they would like to visit with Kelly and Milly too," Susan replied. "I was also considering inviting them to celebrate Christmas with us here next Friday."

"I think that is an excellent idea," Greg agreed.

Susan smiled. "Thank you. I'm glad you think so. Maybe we can call Shelly to invite them this afternoon?"

"I'd be happy to," Greg agreed. "Would you like to invite Reuben too?"

"If he's in town and would like to come, he is certainly welcome," Susan agreed.

"What else can I do to help you?" Greg offered.

"I need to get the guestrooms ready. Sarah very kindly put their linens in the wash before they left today, but I still need to put them back on the bed," Susan said.