Bonus: One Year

"Ace" Everson ~ 13.44

Gritting my teeth, I try my absolute hardest to get König's arm flat on the table, my hand wrapped around his.

"This is making me feel bad," he says almost innocently though with a laugh.

"You-could-" I huff out, standing up to try and give myself the upper hand, "let-me-win!"

He chuckles. "Now why would I do that?"

"Fucking hell," I sigh defeated, feeling him relax his muscles too. "This is actually impossible."

The break room erupts in laughter, with even König joining in as we both acknowledge the futility of our arm-wrestling match.

As the laughter dies down, König leans back in his chair, grinning with just his eyes. "Well, I've got to give it to you, kleine. You're stronger than you look."

"I'll get you next time."

"I'm sure you will."

Price clears his throat, bringing our attention back to the matters at hand.

"Now that we've proven our arm-wrestling prowess," Price says, a hint of amusement in his voice, "Time to get back to work."

I get up from the table, offering König just another smile before heading back to my office. It's close, so it only takes a minute to get there.

Sitting down behind my desk again, my eyes land on the decorated picture frame on the corner of my workspace. My face lights up at the sight of it, and I reach out to take a better look at it for a moment.

Taking in the picture of Simon standing in the middle of the field of wildflowers, I can't help but think back to earlier this year. Time has flown by, and today marks our first anniversary.

Unfortunately, he was away on a mission for a few days.

I was a bit sad a first, but I couldn't let it get to me. That's how it goes in our line of work, and currently, I don't mind it too much anymore. I've got the others to keep me company.

However, it doesn't mean that I don't miss him.

I always do when he's away.

Lost in memories, the sudden knock on the door startles me. My heart quickens at the unexpected interruption, but it quickly subsides as it's probably either Soap or Price standing in front of my door.

"Come in," I call out, my eyes finding their way back to my laptop screen to continue work.

The door swings open, and I don't immediately look at who's there. But from my peripheral vision, something unexpected appears.

A figure shrouded in a familiar skull mask.

Simon?

My breath catches in surprise, the rush of emotions nearly overwhelming. It takes a moment for the shock to dissipate, but as recognition sets in, my heart leaps.

"Simon!" I exclaim, the surprise evident in my voice. I rise from my chair, almost unable to contain the excitement that rushes through me. "What are you doing here?!"

He stands there, the silent sentinel in his masked guise, his eyes-so expressive even behind the mask-conveying a mix of amusement and affection. His presence, unexpected and yet so deeply longed for, fills the room with an air of warmth.

A smile tugs at my lips as I rush into his embrace, his strong arms wrapping around me in a familiar, comforting hold.

God how I missed his hugs.