XL. The arcade

'Ace' Everson ~ 11:00 pm

It has been three days since Simon left me alone in my apartment. I tried to pull myself together, but it had been harder than I thought it would be. That night specifically, I didn't sleep much.

For the past few days, there was nothing but him on my mind. It used to be like that already, though before this it was an exciting type of nervousness. Now, I'm dreading seeing him again. When I look at myself in the mirror I see nothing but fear.

Fear of him changing his mind.

"For fucks sake, Ace," Soap says from beside me. "How are you gonna sit here like this and not tell me what's going on."

Soap had dragged me to the bar after nagging me about it a hundred times in the span of twenty minutes. He had asked the others too, but they all seemed to have other plans. I didn't mind them not being here, though. Especially him.

"Not now," I mumble, staring blankly at the wooden bar top.

"Can I at least buy you a drink?" he asks as he places a hand on my back.

"Only if you stop asking me what's wrong."

"Deal," he mumbles, his blue eyes shining in the dimmed setting.

I nod at him, appreciating his presence more than I could ever tell him.

He's the kind of guy who can effortlessly lighten the mood, even in the darkest of times. His playful grin widens, and he raises one of his eyebrows. "So, Ace, ready to hear a joke that'll blow all your worries away?" he asks, his voice filled with a hint of mischief.

I can't help but chuckle, grateful for his attempt to bring some levity to the situation. "Go on. Hit me with your best shot."

He leans in closer, his voice dropping to a conspiratorial whisper. "Why did the scarecrow win an award?"

I raise an eyebrow, playing along. "Mm... I don't know, Soap. Why did the scarecrow win an award?"

A glint dances in Soap's eyes. "Because he was outstanding in his field!" He lets out a hearty laugh, reveling in his own pun.

Despite the heaviness in my chest, a genuine smile tugs at the corners of my lips. Soap has a way of making me forget, even if only for a moment.

"That was terrible," I chuckle, unable to hide my amusement.

He immediately acts offended, placing a hand over his heart for dramatic effects. "Terrible? That joke was pure comedic gold! You're lucky to have me around."

I playfully roll my eyes. "Oh, Soap, where would I be without your ridiculous jokes?"

He winks at me, his carefree demeanor lifting some of the weight off my shoulders. "Lost in a sea of seriousness, my friend. But fear not, I'm here to save the day with my unmatched wit and unparalleled charm."

We share a laugh, our spirits momentarily lifted by the simple joy of laughter. Soap's lightheartedness is a welcome respite from the storm that rages within me, and for that, I am grateful.

As we continue our evening, Soap continues to weave his humorous tales and witty remarks, creating a shield of laughter around us. With each joke, the grip of fear loosens, replaced by a glimmer of hope and resilience.

Deep down, I know that facing Simon and the uncertain future that awaits us won't be easy. But having Soap by my side, cracking jokes, and reminding me to find moments of joy amidst the chaos, gives me the strength to keep moving forward.