XXXVII. Wet clothes

"Fine.. You got me," Keegan replies.

As I peek out from behind the tree, Keegan's gaze flickers over to me. He motions for me to stay hidden ever so slightly, just enough for me to see, and so I do. Keegan then gives his gun to the guy, but as I look at them, the guy suddenly turns.

I quickly lean back, covering myself with the tree as he seemingly looks for someone else.

"Where is she?" the guy asks.

"Who.." Keegan replies, making it clear that he won't be telling on me.

"That girl," the recruit says, his voice full of annoyance.

"I don't know who you're talking about."

"-Fine," the recruit barks. "I'll find her myself."

The next moment, Keegan is gone. Back to find the safe circle, leaving me here alone with the recruit close by. I don't move for at least five minutes, hoping that the recruit will leave.

When I peek out from behind the tree again, I see him a little further away. His flashlight still swings around in the darkness, though it's clear that he's still searching for me.

I take my chance and go in the opposite direction from where he currently is, but right when I pass a few more trees, a loud crack sounds from the sky. The rain suddenly gets worse, and lightning appears right above us.

"Shit," I mutter. I quickly turn around and hide behind another tree, just to inspect what the recruit will be doing now.

As he stands there, he runs a hand through his wet hair. He looks around still, not showing any signs of stopping his search. I turn around and make a run for it again, hoping to put as much distance between us as I can in these short moments of him standing still.

I struggle through the relentless downpour, the rain plastering my uniform to my body. Each step feels like an uphill battle against the elements. Thunder crashes overhead, shaking the very ground beneath me. It still surprise me how quick the weather could turn around, though there's nothing we could do about it.

Through the darkness, I spot a flicker of movement—a silhouette navigating the dark forest. It's him again, still searching for me. Despite my exhaustion, I summon the last reserves of my energy and veer off my path, attempting to get away from him once more. I'm not sure how he managed to get to this point so quickly, but he did somehow.

As I stumble forward, I catch sight of an abandoned, decrepit shack looming ahead. It looks similar to the one Keegan and I were in just a short moment ago, though this one looks even more broken down. But desperation surges through my veins, urging me to seek shelter within its dilapidated walls. I push open the creaking door and step inside, my heart still pounding in my chest from the entire situation.

Before I know it, footsteps sound close by and I don't have to think twice about who it is. The recruit's footsteps draw nearer, the sound magnified by the rain's incessant drumming on the roof. My eyes scan the small, musty interior, searching for a place to hide. The shack offers few options—a rusty metal barrel, a rickety wooden chair, and a tattered blanket lying on the floor.

Without hesitation, I dart behind the barrel, my breath shallow with anticipation. Seconds stretch into agonizing minutes as the storm's fury intensifies outside. The recruit's footsteps grow louder, echoing through the confined space. I press my hand against my mouth, willing my rapid breathing to subside.

The door creaks open, revealing the recruit's silhouette framed by the stormy night. Rainwater drips from his soaked clothes, pooling onto the dirt floor. His eyes scan the room, searching for any sign of my presence. I hold my breath, praying that the darkness will conceal me.