I. Opportunities

It's my third year after the mandatory service.

When I first joined, I despised every aspect of it. I struggled to find my place here, feeling like an outsider. Yet, over time, that sentiment began to shift. Even the act of killing, which had once weighed heavily on me, hadn't been hard on me anymore. I wouldn't be able to tell you the last time killing made my stomach turn.

My parents had cursed me for it. They hated the fact that I had to join the mandatory service in the first place, let alone my choice to stay. They were always worried sick, but they didn't have any other choice but to accept. 

"What do you think it's about?" Liam asks me as he walks right beside me.

Head of our department, captain Harlon, requested for me to meet her in her office just a few minutes ago. It wasn't unusual, but something felt.. different, this time.

"No clue, Katz. My heart is pounding," I breathe.

"You'll be fine, come on," Liam says mockingly, softly pushing my shoulder as we roam through the hallways of our facility.

Liam Katz was the first soldier I met when I joined the army. We were paired together in our first months of training. He had joined in the same year as I had, deciding to stick around after the mandatory year too. After that, we pretty much clung to each other every chance we got. I see him as family, considering I don't see my own family very often.

"Alright, I'll wait for you at your desk. Don't stress," He says, offering me a genuine smile.

"I'll let you know everything once I'm released from this mental torment." I grin at him before he turns to walk away.

I take a few deep breaths as I face the large door, trying to get my heart rate down before knocking. Then, when I'm somewhat ready, my knuckles hit the cold glass.

"Come in," I hear immediately.

I push open the large frosted glass door to see Freja Harlon greeting me with a genuine smile. Behind her, a large man with crossed arms stares me down directly.

It's captain Price. Captain of task force 141. I've heard infamous stories about this group of soldiers, supposedly the best of the best. I had seen some of them wandering around the facility, but never actually managed to speak to one of them. They were usually too busy or thought you weren't even worth the eye contact.

"Hello, miss Everson. Thank you for being here," Freja says.

"Ma'am.. Sir," I nod politely, "Of course. I hope all is well."

"Yes, Ace," she calls me by my nickname. "I wanted to call you in here to introduce you to captain Price." I shift my gaze over to the tall man standing behind her.

He looks friendlier than he did a few seconds ago, his stance more open, and his expression softer.

"Nice to meet you, sir. I've heard a lot about you," I say in a respectful matter.

"Likewise. I heard you're quite a character around here," he chuckles. I immediately notice his accent.

What the hell does that mean..?

"In a good way, I hope, sir." I offer a weak smile, honestly not knowing where this conversation will go.

"Absolutely, Everson. That's why I came here," Price continues, "You see, I have done some research into your department. But not for no reason," He stops talking.

Captain Harlon shifts in her seat. "Price came to me last week, asking for help regarding task force 141. Now, - don't be intimidated by that name, we know the guys have built up quite a name around themselves here," she smiles lightly. "But I thought of you. I gave price your file."