IX. Visitor

I spent the day on the couch, curled up with my cat and my right foot up on a cushion. Ghost brought me home at about 6 am, and unfortunately, I hadn't been able to get much sleep after everything that happened. My stomach was left in knots after he had gone away.

 "Now I know why you weren't focused, sergeant. You should know that that stuff is strictly forbidden in our task force.."

It was the way in which he said the words that left me stunned. It wasn't fully strict, and he wasn't mad. He sounded rather amused.

Still deep in my thoughts, I put on my pajamas to get ready for bed, hoping I might be able to finally get some sleep. Bagel meows at me from the couch and I decide to watch just one more episode of the walking dead, the show I've been binge-watching all day.

After just 15 minutes, a knock sounds on my door. Bagel quickly jumps off of my lap.

The knock has an oddly specific rhythm, and it immediately gives me the creeps.

Why wouldn't they just knock normally..?

I lift myself off of my couch, slowly making my way over to the door. Luckily after a day of rest, I can use my foot at least a little bit without that aching pain from before.

I place my hand flat on the door, debating if I should be opening the door to a strange knock at 11.00 pm. At moments like these, I curse myself for not having a peephole.

I open the door by just an inch, peeping out to what's behind.

A large figure stands in the shadows, only lit by the small outside light. And even though I can't really see him, I can easily tell who it is.

"Ghost..? What are you doing here?"

He lifts his head, causing his mask to finally catch some light. He doesn't respond immediately, but his voice is calm when he does.

"Price asked me to check up on you."

"Oh, really..? That's nice of him," I say hesitantly, shocked by the fact that he's on my doorstep for the second time today. "Do you... Do you want to come inside? It's freezing out here," I ask because it genuinely is. He doesn't respond, though he steps forward when I open the door for him.

He looks around my apartment as if he's here for the first time.

"Liking what you see?" I ask, trying to lighten the mood.

"It's alright," He responds.

"Alright.. good enough when it comes from you," I chuckle, hoping to get rid of this weird tension. My stomach once again turns to knots, this time by his presence.

"Sit down," he suddenly says, "I need to see your ankle."

I now once again curse myself. This time not for the peephole, but for changing into my very short shorts just 15 minutes ago.

"Okay.." I pause, rubbing my hands along my clothes. I'm wearing black pajama shorts with a black cropped top. It's not the most charming, but I definitely could have picked worse options.

I walk over to my couch and let myself fall onto my usual spot. He scoots my coffee table over a little bit and grabs the stool I have next to my couch. It's usually for my drinks, and I'm not sure if it's strong enough to hold him, but I don't dare to say anything.

"Come," he motions for me to put my leg up as he takes a seat in front of me.

I'm not sure where he wants me to put it, but he softly grabs my leg when I lift it up and he places it in his lap.