Chapter 33 - The Plan Unfolds.

Percy's POV

December 17

     Retaking the test was so annoying. Luckily, much to my relief, the material was all the same. I don't think I had ever tried so hard on a test in my whole life. I wanted to prove Mrs. Dodds wrong. I wanted her to see I was smart.

     When I finally finished, I even took the extra time to check through all of my answers. Once I was completely confident in myself, I handed the paper to my dad.

     My father gave the paper to Mrs. Dodds, and she picked up another paper off of the table which was probably an answer sheet. Her eyes darted between both of the paper, and she scowled more and more with every passing second. That only made me feel better about the grade I was going to get.

     When she finished, she set my paper down on the table in front of her. Mrs. Dodds took a green pen out of the pen jar, and the ocean animal figures blocked my view from seeing what she wrote.

     She snapped the cap back onto the pen and dropped it into the jar. Then, she grabbed the paper and handed it to me.

     I took it into both of my hands, trying to make sense of the number. It was a 98. There was no way. How was my second grade better than the first one? Had I just made a few simple mistakes the first time?

Mrs. Dodds sighed, the breath that escaped her lips was angry and annoyed. "I believe this is the grade you deserve, Percy. Do not get a big head about it." She sent me a warning glare as I began getting out of my chair.

"Yes, ma'am. Thank you, and thanks, dad. Goodnight." I quickly left the office, then the tower.

As I stepped outside, I folded the paper up and put it into my pocket. This was one of the best feelings I'd ever had, after the feeling I had telling Rachel I loved her of course.

As I began making way down the hall, a voice shouted out my name. I looked up, and saw a figure running towards me.

It was a girl, curly hair flying behind her as she approached me. In the darkness, I thought it was Rachel, until she got close enough for me to make out more features and find out it was Annabeth.

I stopped in my tracks as Annabeth paused in front of me, gasping for breath. "Stop—" she wheezed, "you can not go into the dorm—"

My eyebrows knit together in confusion. "What do you mean?" I asked her. Why couldn't I go into the dorm?

She straightened up, taking my hand and beginning to lead me away from the hall. She guided me onto the wet grass, slipping under our feet. Annabeth stopped by the fountain and sat me down, then sat down beside me.

     "Okay, what's so serious that I can't go to the dorm?" After asking, I realized that it must have been pretty big, since she also made me sit down.

Annabeth inhaled, fidgeting with her fingers. She didn't meet my eyes, and she looked pretty distraught. "Well, remember how I told you about how Drew and Rachel have some sort of...situation, involving you? They're doing it tonight—whatever it is. I think—I think Rachel is playing you, or something."

I blinked, staring at her. Rachel, playing me? No way. Rachel and I love each other. She literally told me about her mom, and how Drew knew about it. Drew and Rachel weren't actually friends—Drew was threatening Rachel.

"No," I told Annabeth slowly, "you're wrong. Why would Rachel do that? She wouldn't, she couldn't." As I said this, I got mad. I didn't understand why Annabeth was telling me this, it was clearly not true.