Chapter 26 - The First Session

Annabeth's POV

November 6

     It was Thursday, and the day I would start tutoring Percy. At first, it had taken us two days to warm Rachel up to the very idea of me being Percy's tutor. She was still shaken up from Saturday night, when she somehow thought Percy only wanted me to be his tutor so he could hang out with me.

     Then it took us another two days for Percy to remember to ask his dad about switching tutors. So after discussing it with his father yesterday in his office, I was officially Percy's new tutor.

     I sat down across from him, holding my own books and setting them down on the seat next to me. Percy's books were already sprawled on the top of the table, ready to be used.

     "So," Percy started, looking at his different books. "Can we start with geography?" He asked slowly, as if he wasn't sure if I'd say yes or not.

     I tried to ignore the fact that Rachel had just come out of the bedroom and was now sitting on the couch, arms crossed as she pretended to watch a tv show, but really she was watching the two of us.

     "Yeah, of course." I smiled, moving his other books to the side. Percy sighed a bit in what seemed to be relief.

     "Okay, this is going to sound really bad." Percy said as he opened up to the page which had a map of the United States. He began flipping through the pages, going through America and Europe, Asia, Africa, all of the continents. "Don't laugh, but I don't know any of the states or countries, or which is what— I know the names, just not where they are."

     I turned to the map of Europe, then pointed to Norway, what I hoped would be a pretty basic thing for him to remember. I did this because I wanted to see what he actually knew, or if he was just underestimating himself. The map didn't have names of the countries or states labeled, so the map was actually perfect for this.

     "What's this country?" I asked him, finger still pointing to Norway.

     Percy frowned and pulled the book closer to him. He stared at it for a while, as if he was trying to find the name written somewhere on the paper. It wasn't.

     "It's...Iceland, right?" He asked, looking up at me. I shook my head and his frown deepened as he looked back down at the paper.

     I heard Rachel scoff from her spot on the couch. "Yeah, she's a great tutor." She muttered.

      Percy and I both ignored her, and I waited for him to come up with a new answer.

     "Sweden?" He asked finally, looking up at me hopefully.

     I grinned, pleased that he'd guessed something so close to Norway, he may have had some hope.

     "Really, really close. Sweden is the one next to it." I corrected, pointing to the land beside Norway.

      Percy leaned back in the seat. "Oh, wait. Is it the one—Frozen was based off of it." He said to himself, and I tried not to laugh at the fact he was using Disney knowledge to help him figure out what this country was.

     After a few seconds, he finally snapped his fingers and lit up, like a lightbulb had just turned on in his head. "It's Norway, isn't it?"

     "Yes!" I exclaimed happily, pointing at another piece of land, Austria. "This one?"

     Percy groaned. "Another one?" He complained, glancing down at the place I was pointing at. "Germany?" He guessed.

     "Not quite. It starts with an A." I offered, hoping the hint would help him along.