Chapter 9 - First Day

Annabeth's POV

August 4

     The clock tower across campus beside the Great Hall suddenly rang its bell, and all the girls in the beds surrounding me in our little circle began getting up and readying themselves for the day.

     I recognized three of them. Piper and Thalia, the two who'd introduced themselves to me while I was unpacking, and Juniper, who had been in the office and given me my schedule and uniform. I assumed the school allowed students to work in the office sometimes.

     There were six other girls besides us four. One girl had crazily wild red hair, as crazy as mine but with much more volume. She had bright green eyes and lots of freckles covering her nose. Her bed read "Rachel Dare." at the foot. She seemed like a girl who wasn't afraid to say what she wanted, much like Thalia, who's bed was right next to Rachel's.

     A girl with chocolate brown, neat curly hair and dark skin was in the bed right next to me. She had glittering green eyes that seemed more gold than green, actually. She had an innocent face and she seemed timid and shy. Her bed read "Hazel Levesque."

     Another girl had long, elegant blonde hair. She had brown eyes and her bed read "Calypso Ogygia." (I didn't know what to use for her last name)

     A girl with brown hair and naturally tanned skin was laying in the bed almost directly across from mine. She had piercing blue eyes and a sneer that seemed permanent. She was beautiful, no doubt. But in a scary way. Her bed said "Drew Tanaka."

     A girl with dark brown hair and matching brown eyes sat on the bed on the other side of Hazel. She had fair dark skin and a regal complexion. Her bed read "Zoë Nightshade."

     A girl next to me on my other side was a girl named "Silena Beauregard." She was stunning with long, black hair. Her eyes were a delicate blue, like glass.

     So that was all ten of us. Our beds went in order like this: Zoë, Hazel, me, Silena, Piper, Calypso, Thalia, Rachel, Drew, Juniper.

     The ten of us were all rummaging in our wardrobes or racing to get to the bathrooms first. I had showered last night so I decided not to shower this morning. I got changed into black tights with a blue and black plaid skirt on top. Then I did one of the loose fitting white collared shirts, one with short sleeves. Then I put a dark blue sweater vest on top. I pulled on a pair of black, smart looking shoes, then glanced over at the bathroom. The door was open, and I saw that one stall, mine and Hazel's, was available. I went inside and closed the door.

     My toothbrush and toothpaste were already set down at the sink from last night. The girls decided to assign two girls per each of the five stalls, so we wouldn't have to worry about not being able to use our stuff. I was sharing with Hazel.

     She was already in there brushing her teeth, but apparently she'd left the door open for me to do the same. I smiled at her and she returned it, before we both went back to brushing our teeth.

     We moved in sync almost, putting down our toothbrushes then picking up our hairbrushes. We both ran the brush through both of our heads of curls, then put our brushes down when we were done.

      She stopped me before I made my way out of the stall and back into the room.

     "I'm Hazel." She said sweetly, and I could tell from her voice how shy she was.

     "Annabeth, nice to meet you."

     "You too. What do you have for your first class?" She asked me, tilting her off to the side.