Chapter 6: Revelations in the Moonlight

Themistonoe concluded, "Well said, everyone

Themistonoe concluded, "Well said, everyone. This conversation shows that working together will lead to deeper insights than working alone."

She took a deep breath, a smile on her lips. "However, our conversation has veered off course. I gathered you all here for another serious reason."

The atmosphere turned serious as her words reminded them of the important task ahead. Themistonoe nodded solemnly. "Indeed, the tragedy of the Poseidon's Fury weighs heavily on all our hearts. By putting together the information each of us has, we hope to uncover the truth."

Her cloak rustled as if haunted by the ghosts of that doomed journey. "As you know, the Thebes' Archives will reward us generously for any discoveries—we will receive thirty thousand drachmae to be divided among us and any allies who help us."

Ikkos nodded eagerly, "With this wealth, I can retire early and live a comfortable life. I won't stop until I find every clue."

Mnesarete smiled softly. "While the promise of money is tempting, it's the knowledge that truly enriches me. But financial support for future studies would be helpful."

Dex grinned mischievously. "Adventure and gold—what more could a rogue want? I'll help until we solve the mystery and prove the Archives right!"

Chrysomallo locked eyes with Themistonoe, her gaze steady. "Finding justice for the lost souls on board is reward enough. If we uncover anything, having resources to help others would be a better tribute to their memory."

Themistonoe returned their looks warmly. "Each of you has unique skills and perspectives that are crucial for this quest. When combined with our own abilities and motivations, no clue or danger will stop us."

She turned to Mnesarete with anticipation. "As someone who has researched the ill-fated voyage the most, you must have the most enlightening details. Please share everything you've discovered about Poseidon's Fury and its mysterious captain."

Mnesarete continued, "From my research, I've learned that the captain was named Ahiram, a Phoenician born in Thebes but sailed between Greece and Phoenicia. It was rumoured that the Poseidon's Fury was built in the famous shipyards of Sidon and had a cedar hull and luxurious furnishings, representing the best of Phoenician shipbuilding."

"There were whispers that Captain Ahiram pursued unusual interests during his travels," she said seriously, pausing briefly before continuing. "Whatever Ahiram explored, the consequences on board the Fury were said to be unimaginably horrifying. For weeks, it is said that no one dared to set foot on the ship's decks, such was the terror that awaited them."

Dex thought for a moment, scratching his chin. "Based on the stories I've heard, the Fury was a normal trade ship, sailing from Milos to its home in Thebes. It was a common route back then. So, what could possibly go wrong with an experienced captain in charge?"

Themistonoe nodded, considering Dex's words. "That's true. The sea route that the Poseidon's Fury followed was well-known to Phoenician traders for many years. No one would have expected such an experienced ship to meet its end there."