v.

( FAYE )

( FAYE )

sadie and i sit cross-legged on the floor, surrounded by an eclectic array of art supplies; the air is infused with the scent of creativity and the promise of an unconventional escape.

in one of her ramblings, she had expressed a wish to explore art, aspiring to be more like me. the irony.

"i'm gonna kick your ass" the redhead snickers.

the laptop screen flickers to life, revealing bob ross, the maestro of happy little trees.

"yeah, cause that's what art is about" i nod, sarcasm lacing my tone. "kicking ass"

as the tutorial begins, his calming voice resonates in the room, setting the stage for a painting competition between us.

our laughter harmonizes with the gentle swishes of brushes, which graze the canvases as we mirror bobs strokes.

"happy trees? my trees look depressed" i chuckle, glancing at the redhead.

she nods. "god, bob ross makes it look so easy"

bobs voice echoes in the room. "there are no mistakes, only happy little accidents"

"oh, shut the fuck up bob!" sadie huffs, causing me to burst into laughter.

i gaze at her canvas, being taken aback by its brilliance.

hers closely resembles the tutorial, while mine bears the mark of my own artistic flair, as that is my customary approach.

"stop bullying bob, it's not his fault you suck at painting" i grin, lying through my teeth.

she scoffs. "oh yeah?"

leaning over, she eyes my canvas with a puzzled expression.

"is that a mountain or a tropical fruit salad?"

i stifle a laugh with an exaggerated gasp, my hand firmly gripping my chest.

"this means something, okay? it's abstract" i roll my eyes.

in a matter of minutes, we find ourselves adorned with paint, the result of flinging paintbrush splatters at one another.

"watch out for that red, faye!"

sadie feigns concern as a scarlet cascade descends towards me, cackling once it lands on my cheek.

i gasp, flinging a spray of yellow at her. "bitch!"

she grins. "my favourite colour, thanks"

with our brushes set aside, we lay in the midst of the colour that adorns the once clean floor.