viii.

( FAYE )

( FAYE )

"one, two, three..."

i whisper, delicately tracing intricate patterns on sadies face. my gaze carefully observes every last aspect of her appearance.

"four, five, six..."

i lightly poke each freckle i count. an airy giggle escapes her lips as i brush aside the strands of hair resting on her pale skin.

"seven, eight, nine..."

she chuckles when i reach a ticklish part of her neck. i widen my eyes before a mischievous grin appears, leading me to poke the same spot multiple times. her hands fly up in the air as she tries to smack mine away with chuckles.

i remove my hands, fixating on her blue orbs. each second my eyes remain on hers, i get more and more lost in them.

usually, i'm terrible at keeping eye contact. when i'm around her, though, it's impossible to look elsewhere.

her face turns a shade of pink, now matching her lips. she buries it in the pillow while smiling like an idiot, causing my eyes to twinkle with adoration.

"what time is it?" she yawns, slightly shifting to sit up.

a gasp escapes my lips as her question acts as a reminder. my hands rush to grasp my phone, reading the numbers 9:26am.

"work!" my legs guide me out of bed, stumbling across the tiles towards the bathroom.

i can't help but contemplate what shane thinks of me right now, considering the number of shifts i've missed without any words. it's certain i'm getting fired. i can sense it. for some reason, that doesn't bother me as much as it should.

that makes me feel selfish. i know finn earns a substantial income through fame, but i can't rely on him forever. someday, we'll move out, on our own or with others. i need to be prepared for that.

butterflies fill up my stomach as i push open the glass door. the welcoming aroma of freshly brewed coffee and the hum of chatter greets me, still not easing my sense of impending doom.

my gaze darts to marcus behind the counter, arranging coffee cups. he looks up at me with a gasp, waving me towards him.

i stroll towards him, fidgeting with the hem of my apron. "i'm getting fired, right? just tell me"

marcus frowns, concern etched in his features. "i'm not gonna lie to you, probably"

upon seeing my eyes drop, he speaks again. "just try to explain things to shane, tell him you had a good reason and he'll understand"