Ch6 My Favourite Game

Onset of July and monsoon, unclear sunrises and colourful sunsets. This time, this monsoon was different. Though I never introduced myself as a football player but being a girl I played football.
On one boring day in school our sports teacher called us for football girl's team selection. Though football was my love but I didn't practiced it since a long time. Somehow I got selected in the team and we were supposed to stay back after school for our practice.
First day of practice and I realised even boy's team was doing stay back and we were supposed to be trained with them. It was all normal for me when I was watching my class boys in football dresses and kits. But the moment I saw James entering ground, I was tieing my laces and my eyes were on him. He was casually jogging to reach ground with his friends. Soon our sir called us for the instructions and attendance. I was happy, excited and surprised all at the same time. Like, he plays football!!. What a perfect guy. But soon I observed him playing and I realised that he is not that good I mean am better than him at this one thing probably.
It was 3rd day of practice and we were told to team up with guys and play a practice match. I was freaked out. What added to my worries was that I was in James' team. I was so happy but nervous too. I dont know how I forgot each one of my skills during that practice match when I was in his team.
That dude would pass me the football and say, " Goal post is empty, just go for it." I got motivated and I kicked, it was a goal. I turned around to see his reaction he was already celebrating with our teammates. I ran towards him and he gave a high five. My world freezed at that moment and I was standing at that place since so long.
"Vera, run in front." my ears absorbed his voice and I did as he told. We were running parallel passing the football to eachother at the end I asked him to score and he did. Soon, it was my turn to score I went towards goal post but I slipped off in wet grass and missed the goal. "It's ok, get up" I heard from his lips. Now I had to get up and try again.
This was the best training I could get. After the game, we were collecting cones and " you played really good" I complimented him. " Ohh I always do.. you just saw it today" he said with a smirk, just James things (self obsessed). This whole match we played was during rain. The vibe rain settled for me is unbeatable.

It was the match day, he was there on the ground boundaries guiding me. Infact, all the boys were there who were in team they were helping out everyone but this guy James was just interrupting my game. When I was supposed to take a shoot. He said "Keep it grounded, no pressure..no pressure!" but I was so pissed off by him that I shooted and it was in air..the ball was in air. "Oh noo, I told you not to do so" he said as he dropped his shoulder and the refree declared it was a foul. "Can't you tell me before? This was not a normal 11 on 11 game this was 7 on 7 so I didn't knew this new rule" I yelled. " How do I know that you don't know" I was like yeah sorry.
It was a drinks break in our match now. I collapsed on the ground and I was so tired. The boys were supposed to bring us water. I was lieing on the ground all wet in sweat with my eyes half opened as it was raining again. I saw a hand above me with a bottle of water..ohh it was mine. "Have it!" James said. I couldn't speak a word. "Have it, you need it idiot!" I got up, took the bottle from his hands and took a sip of water and returned it back to him. Wow...again this guy will kill me. Being rude yet sweet how is that even possible. We somehow managed to lose that match :( though heading back home with a lot of memories, a new experience and a new hope. It was an exhausting yet a beautiful day.
I noticed that he was the one who was guiding me during the match and I wasn't paying attention after some point of time..how foolish of me... just Vera things. My love got deeper for him now, still can't explain how and why but it did.