Rhodes: Now that's not yours, is it?

Cinder turns and throws the sword at Rhodes, who deflects it into a wooden beam with his dual maces.

Rhodes: I'm not here to hurt you.

He rolls his maces over to Cinder, who picks one of them up. She runs forward and swings the mace at him, but he catches it in his hand, using his Semblance to coat his hand in metal.

Rhodes: I've seen you around, and I think it's safe to say you're not getting the most fair treatment. Yeah? I can't really blame you for what you're thinking.

Cinder: You don't know what I'm--

Rhodes: But hurting them isn't going to make your life any better. You can run, but you're going to be running for the rest of your life. Or you could find another way to handle it.

Cinder hangs her head and lowers the mace, letting it rest on the floor. She begins to cry.

Cinder: Like you? You can do whatever you want, go wherever you want.

Rhodes: Ah, how old are you?

Cinder: Ten.

Rhodes: And you want to be like us? You want to be a Huntress?

Cinder nods.

Rhodes: Then we've got about seven years.

Rhodes walks over to the sword still stuck in a beam.

Cinder: For what?

He pulls the sword from the beam and tosses it to her.

Rhodes: To train you for the Huntsman exam.

Montage of Cinder and Rhodes sparring at night, the moon changing phase. Rhodes tousles Cinder's hair. Cinder is shocked in the storeroom again. Cinder watches Rhodes leave the hotel and reenter it. Cinder and Rhodes spar. Cinder dusts a Grimm statue. Madame uses the remote to shock Cinder in the hotel lobby. Cinder carries dishes to a room off the landing and leaves it with towels. Rhodes gives Cinder a sword.

Rhodes: Just a few more years and you won't need your guardian's permission. You'll be free.

The stepsisters rush to their mother in the hotel lobby. The straight-haired one speaks while the curly-haired one grins.

Step Sister: Mom, come quick, we found something. It's Cinder! She has a weapon!

Madame: Hmm.

A clock shows 11:38. Madame follows the stepsisters to Cinder's room. The clock jumps to 11:57. Rhodes enters the hotel to find no one at the front desk.

Rhodes: Hello? Anyone?

A crash is heard. Rhodes runs through an open door. He opens the door to Cinder's room to find the stepsisters dead on the floor, just as the 12:00 bell begins to ring. Cinder holds Madame in the air by her throat, as Madame continuously presses the button on the remote, electric sparks emanating from Cinder's necklace.

Cinder: You're right. Without you I am nothing. But because of you, I am everything.

A crunch is heard, and Madame goes limp. Cinder drops her on the floor.

Rhodes: Cinder.

Cinder looks at Rhodes with a wide-eyed broken smile.

Cinder: I won't have to run now.

He looks at her sadly.

Rhodes: That's all you'll ever do.

Rhodes draws his dual maces. Cinder's smile turns to anger.