Woe What a Night Part 4

Wednesday's POV:

"Not one word." I say to the boy behind me, whom I know heard every word of Edward's and I's argument.

"No worries. I assume this is the creature that's been rampaging in the woods."He says pointing to the drawing I'm gripping between my fingers.

"You've heard about it before?"

"Rumors. Mr. Fitts banned me from bug-hunting until further notice. Claimed a bear was on the loose, which I knew was a lie. Didn't match their hibernation schedules." He says with a shrug.

"Speaking of monsters with sharp claws, could you give this to your ex? Put in a good word for me? I know she's still sans date for the Rave'N, and Alder is going with Lucas... I didn't get to ask her." He says disappointedly.

"Eugene," I start but he cuts me off.

"I know the chances of her liking me are next to zero, but I don't care. I'll keep putting myself out there until she finally... sees me."

"And if she never does?"

"She will. I'm playing the long game. My family says people will appreciate me when I'm older. They're probably just trying to make me feel better, but..." He trails and I cut him off.

"Listen, people like me and you, we're different. We're original thinkers, intrepid outliers in this vast cesspool of adolescence. We don't need these inane rites of passage to validate who we are."

"But aren't you going to the Rave'N with Xaviera? Isn't that the reason Alder and Edward are angry at you?"

"It's not like I like Xavier. I just have ulterior motives.
Sketches are the closest thing I have to a lead to try and stop this thing."

"That circle... I think I know where that is." He says looking more closely.

"Show me."

We begin hiking through the forest, all the while he is speaking of all sorts of bugs he likes.

We finally make it to a cave.

"It's definitely a match. What were you doing out here?" I ask confused.

"Collecting specimens. This place is ground zero for hоrny gypsy moths." He says with childlike grin, "You think it's in there?"

"Only one way to find out." I say.

"I'm not a huge fan of enclosed spaces. I'm claustrophobic." He tells me before I go in.

"If you hear me screaming bloody murder, there's a good chance I'm just enjoying myself."

He sighs and follows me.

"This is definitely its lair.

"Are those human?" He asks with a tremor in his voice as we see dozens of sets of skeletons scattered across the rocky floor.

"No, I think it's got a taste for venison."

"Check this out," he calls out. "What is that?" He says as I get closer and discovered chains imbedded in the walls.

"Concrete proof." I say in fascination.

"All right, I won't be long. I just need to find something to match against the claw's DNA." I say shining my light around trying to find something I can have tested to prove my hypothesis.

———————————————

The Next Day:

I got to confront Xaviera in her shed, and to get a closer look at her art pieces.