Woe is the Loneliest Number Part 5

Third Person POV:

"Good boy. Watch your butt. Watch your butt." The sheriff says as he loads his dog up.

"Hey. Where you going with Elvis?" Tyler asks his father.

"Just, uh... following a lead on a case." The sheriff responds.

"You still believe there's a creature out there, don't you? I heard you and Santiago talking. You think it's a Nevermore kid?"

"Ran into your shrink. She was kind of tight-lipped about your progress." The sheriff changes the subject and asks accusingly towards his son.

"It's called doctor-patient confidentiality."

"How about father-son confidentiality? What are you two yakking about?"

"Video games, cancel culture, oat milk versus soy, it's a wild time."

"I pay the bills, I got a right to ask."

"We talk about Mom." Tyler days in a louder tone. Remember her?" He asks defeatedly.

"Better not be talking crap about your old man. I'll be home late. You're on your own for dinner." The sheriff sighs tiredly.

"Oh, darn. I... I was hoping we could fire up the grill and then catch the big game. Love these warm, fuzzy memories we're making, Dad." Tyler replies sarcastically.

The sheriff speeds out of the driveway and onto the road.

———————————————

Wednesday's POV:

"We have to get back to the woods, but Weems has been watching me like a vulture circling a carcass." I tell Edward.

(Y/n) and I are ready to go, but we both realize that we have beekeeping. She has gone off the ask Alder to cover for her, and now I have to ask Edward.

"And you want me to cover so that you can return to the scene of a crime that didn't happen?" He asks.

"I have beekeeping club this afternoon." I say already knowing how he'll react, "I need you as decoy."

"Sorry. Two strikes. I'm busy and bees totally creep me out. Why don't you ask Thing? Wait, you can't because he's mad at you."

"Why's he mad? He's the one who screwed up."

"All I know is that we spent an hour giving each other manis, and he really opened up. He feels like you don't respect him as a person."

"Technically, he's only a hand."

"Wednesday! He's your family." (Y/n) cuts in, coming back into the conversation.

"And he would do anything for you." Edward agrees with her. "Go apologize and I'll reconsider helping you."

I leave the two and go to my room to find Thing, and work out our "issues".

"I snapped at you. I'll check my tone in the future."

I say when I get in and find him turning a magazine on Edwards bed.

"Now chop-chop, before all our leads turn cold."

He doesn't move from his spot, he continues just turning pages.

"What is it that you want? Hand cream? Nail buffer? New cuticle scissors? Consider it done."

He taps at me.

"I know I'm stubborn, single-minded and obsessive." I sigh. "But those are all traits of great writers." I say defensively.