Chapter 11 - Y/N's pov

Hunter had just left after our training session. Everything had been fine, I'd posted a photo of us, he looked at it, he seemed happy but then he looked up and seemed almost instantly upset. He left shortly after.

It hurt to see him upset, especially when I didn't know why, and wasn't able to help. I flopped back onto my bed, I still had an entire day ahead of me, sure I should probably leave on a mission or something, but I didn't really fancy seeing the emperor right now. Even though I was still teaching Hunter Bard magic in secret, the Emperor acted so cruel. I knew it was for the right reasons, but sometimes life in this coven is....harsh. I opened the blinds and my window to let some air in. I thought back to when Raine had been showing Hunter their magic, and how my sketchbook had flown into the air. I'd been drawing pictures of Hunter recently, and the thought of him thinking they were weird made my heart sink, so I decided just to not show him in the first place, it made more sense. While I wasn't paying attention, a bird had landed on my windowsill. After looking at it for a few moments I realized-

"PALISMAN!" I screeched and backed into a corner of my room, looking around for something I could use as a weapon.

The wild creature was a blue jay, and it began to fly forward.

"Don't hurt me with your wild magic!" I reached out to grab my staff and pointed it at the thing.

It continued to fly forward ((A/N - actually the bird was the duolingo bird mhm yep 'beg for your life in spanish')) Suddenly the bird changed into a staff, and dropped at my feet. I jumped back and hit the wall, I can't have a palisman! Thats wild magic! I put my non-palisman staff down, and kneeled over. It seemed harmless though. Maybe if nobody found out...

The palisman turned back into a blue jay, and landed in my hands. Fear pulsed through me. My door was locked, so nobody would sneak up on me, but I felt like any moment somebody would burst in and ask what I was doing with a palisman. It chirped, but I could hear...words?

"So that's what you'd like me to call you? P/N?"

It moves it's head, nodding sort of

"Well, P/N, I'm not sure that you've chosen the right place" I murmur, looking at it with sad eyes.

The palisman flapped its little wings and flew, landing on my shoulder. A knock came at my door, it scared the crap out of me. I fell over, and shooed P/N into a hiding spot before opening the door. Hunter was back, but wearing something slightly formal. Odd. A memory flashed back into my head, the emperor announcing a ball....tonight. CRAP--- I'd completely forgotten.

His face was a pale shade of pink "Um are you going tonight?"

I nodded "I guess it's my duty to, as Golden Guard" I said

He nods "I'll uh...see you there!" he left

I shut the door, my face was red-hot. I dug through my closet and found a black dress with gold trim. It had a long, dark cape with a hood attatched to it. I put it on, and then put my mask onto my face. I pulled out my scroll and took a selfie with the mask on, and the dress, with the hood pulled up. I set the image to my new profile picture, and then posted the image with the caption:

Ready for the Emperor's Ball!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Time skippity skip~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I walked out of my room, the dress's cape was close to the ground, but didn't quite touch it, I had my mask on and hood up. I walked down the corridor, and could hear music booming. I stood in front of the ballroom doors, they were wide open. It was filled with scouts, none of them were wearing masks, but I knew that I should be, especially considering my scar, the most important thing was to not cause their faith in the emperor to waver. I heard a few people cheer as I walked in. I didn't want to be here, but I had to, for the sake of my duty, and for the sake of keeping Hunter company. I looked around for him, but found myself at a table full of refreshments. I took a glass full of some sort of pink juice, some sort of punch I presumed. I drank it, it tasted alright, but I could tell it was made from one of those just-add-water things. I threw away the empty cup. I still hadn't found Hunter, and really wasn't having much fun. It was at this moment I realized the Hunter was really the only other person my age that I talked to, and I didn't really have friends other than him in the coven. Sure, the scouts practically worshipped me, but that just seemed fake. I sat down, leaning against a wall, watching everyone dancing and enjoying themselves. The music boomed in my ears, and the sound all around me was slightly bothersome. I opened my scroll and started scrolling through it when I noticed a DM, from Hunter.

RULERZREACHF4N : MEeT m3 BY tHe_- cre3k!1!

Hmm. I wondered why he wasn't here, but I got up and left. I made a spell circle and teleported out of the castle. I was close to the creek, but not quite there yet. I walked along the edge of the castle before reaching the area of trees that marked the beginning of the forest where the creek was. I walked for a few minutes, taking everything in, but mostly how peaceful it was. I could see creek now. Hunter was standing in front of it, facing away from me. He was wearing a black suit.

I smiled under my mask, and jumped behind him, grabbing his shoulders "BOO!" I said

My jump-out-and-scare-him stunt had definitely worked. He jumped, startled.

I laughed "So easily spooked"

He smiled, realizing it was me. His smile made my face burn.

"It was kinda loud in there so I thought we could chill here" he said, fidgeting with his fingers awkwardly.

I realized how close we were, and took a step back "Sorry"

His face looked like a strawberry now "Oh it's fine-"

I smiled, and took off my mask, letting it drop to the ground. I took off my hood. He reached out a hand, his face and ear tips were red.

"Do you want to...dance?" he asked, smiling lightly

It felt like my face was about to burst into flames.

His smile faltered "Its okay if you-"

I grabbed his hand and pulled him close, I noticed that he was about a head taller than me. His hands were around my waist while mine were on his shoulders. We stared into eachother's eyes. The feeling of his touch warmed my heart. We swayed from side to side beside the creek, the peace surrounding us. It felt like I'd been waiting for this, without even knowing it. All to soon, we let go of each other.

"I...really liked that" I said, as I sat down, in front of the creek.

He sat down next to me and wrapped an arm around me, pulling me close. At first I was stiff, but then I relaxxed and leaned into him. All of the work from the past few days caught up with me as I stared out at the creek, and the forest beyond it. Sleep dragged at my eyes until I felt myself drift off.