5. The Wind In My Hair and the Magic In the Air

I'd spent a year at camp before, so I'd seen it through all the seasons. Spring was my personal favorite, because the Demeter Cabin would crank their plant powers up to eleven. Still though, seeing snow at camp just always confused me for a moment.

See, camp has this magical climate control thing going on. That meant that nothing from outside was getting in unless Mr. D wanted it to. This year, snow had been allowed to fall lightly. Frost casted a thin layer over the chariot track and strawberry fields. The cabins were decorated with multicolored fireballs that resembled Christmas lights. More lights glowed in the woods and there was even a fire flickering in the attic window of the Big House where the Oracle was.

At least one of us is warm, I told myself.

The bus was quickly unloaded due to the efficiency of the Hunters and was ready to leave again.

"Whoa," said Nico as he climbed out of the bus and looked around. "Is that a climbing wall?"

"Yeah," Percy said.

"Why is there lava pouring down it?" He asked,

"Extra motivation," I answered.

"Come on," Percy told him, "I'll introduce you to Chiron. Zoe, have you met—"

"I know Chiron," Zoe stiffly said. "Tell him we will be in Cabin Eight. Hunters, follow me."

"I'll show you the way," Grover offered.

"We know the way."

"Oh, really, it's no trouble. It's easy to get lost here," —he tripped over a canoe and came up still talking— "like my old daddy goat used to say! Come on!"

Zoe rolled her eyes, but must've figured he wouldn't leave them alone unless he got to guide them. The Hunters shouldered their packs and their bows and headed off towards the cabin with Grover as their line leader. As Bianca was leaving, she leaned over and whispered something into her brother's ear. She looked at him for an answer, but Nico just scowled and turned away.

"Take care, sweethearts!" Apollo called after the Hunters. He winked at me and Percy. "Watch out for those prophecies, you two. I'll see you soon."

I blinked in confusion. As far as I knew, there was no prophecy for me, so the fact that the literal god of prophecy told me to watch out for one was kind of unsettling.

"What do you mean?" Percy tried to ask.

Instead of answering, Apollo just hopped back in the bus. "Later, Thalia," he said. "And, uh, be good!"

He gave her a wicked smile, like he knew something she didn't. Then the bus doors closed and be revved the engine. I squinted my eyes as the sun chariot took off in a blast of heat. When I fully opened my eyes again a second later, frost that had once laid upon the ground had been melted away and a red Maserati soared over the woods. It glowed brighter and climbed higher until it disappeared in a ray of sunlight.

Nico still looked grumpy from whatever Bianca had told him. "Who's Chiron? I don't have his figurine."

"Our activities director," Percy replied. "He's...well, you'll see."

"If those Hunter girls don't like him," Nico grumbled, "that's good enough for me. Let's go."

I frowned softly at the young boy and then cleared my throat.

"What's with all that negativity, dude?" I questioned. "I'll show you some more magic if you can cheer up a bit. Anything you wanna see."

His sour expression lessened. "Anything?"

"Well," I said, "almost anything. Some spells are forbidden within the camp."

"Like what?" Percy questioned.