3. The Hunted becomes the Hunter

Okay look, the fact that a goddess was standing before me would've normally been a cause for concern, but right now, I was much too exhausted and worried for Annabeth.

Goddess of the Hunt, I sourly thought to myself, hunt down the monster that took my friend.

"Um...okay." Was all Percy managed to say.

Grover had the complete opposite reaction of us, though. He gasped, then knelt hastily in what was left of the snow and started yammering, "Thank you, Lady Artemis! You're so...you're so...Wow!"

"Get up, goat boy!" Thalia snapped at him. "We have other things to worry about! Annabeth is gone!"

"Whoa," Bianca di Angelo cut in. "Hold up. Time out."

Everybody went silent and looked at her. She pointed her finger at all of us in turn, like she was trying to connect the dots. "Who...who are you people?"

Artemis's expression softened. "It might be a better question, my dear girl, to ask who are you? Who are your parents?"

The older sibling nervously glanced at Nico, who was too busy staring at Artemis in awe to listen to the conversation.

"Our parents are dead," Bianca answered. "We're orphans. There's a bank trust that pays for our school, but..."

She faltered. I guess she could tell that none of us were buying it.

"What?" She demanded. "I'm telling the truth."

"Remember when we were that naive?" I asked. "Those were the times."

"Not the time, (Name)," Percy said.

"Sorry," I said, "I express my negative emotions through humor. If you couldn't tell, I'm freaking the fuck out right now."

"You are a half-blood," Zoe Nightshade said to Bianca. Her accent made her sound old-fashioned , like she'd learned how to speak from listening to a dramatic reading of some old book. "One of thy parents was mortal. The other was an Olympian."

"An Olympian...athlete?" Bianca slowly asked.

"No," Zoe shook her head. "One of the gods."

"Cool!" said Nico.

"Not cool!" Bianca's voice quavered. "This is totally not cool!"

The young boy then began to dance around in excitement. "Does Zeus really have lightning bolts that do six hundred damage?"

"Ask Ares," I told him.

"Nico, shut up!" Bianca put her hands up to cover her face. "This isn't your stupid Mythomagic game, okay? There are no gods!"

I forced myself to my feet with the help of Grover who I leaned against with an arm over his shoulder. I felt bad for the siblings. When I had first discovered that I was a half-blood, it was after seeing monsters for years and then coming into contact with the Minotaur, so it was bit less to absorb at once than them.

"Sorry, Bianca," I told her, making her gaze land on me. "But whether or not you believe them doesn't matter. They are real, and you're just like us. You and Nico."

"L...like you?" She slowly asked.

The anger in Thalia's eyes subsided by the smallest amount. "Look, I know it's hard to believe, especially with no kind of warning, but the gods are still alive and thriving. They're immortal. Whenever they have kids with regular humans, kids like us, well...Our lives are dangerous."

"Dangerous," Bianca repeated, "like the girl who fell."

I grimaced and Thalia looked away from her. Even Artemis looked pained.