Chapter 1

I have had enough. After working double shifts for minimum wage at the diner for at least two weeks, I have reached my limit. I've been jumping between temporary jobs for almost two years now and I think it might be time for a permanent job. I threw my apron at my boss and stomped out of the diner like an angry toddler. I know what you're thinking, but at the time it felt good to throw a little tantrum. The door slammed shut behind me with the finality that I had almost no money and a few overdue bills that needed my attention.

I shivered as the icy wind danced around the modern neighborhood and debated the pros and cons of begging for my job back. I shook my head in disbelief at my own thoughts. I was done with the diner and that was final. "Jane, you forgot your last wage on the counter." Bill, my recently ex-boss said and handed me the envelope. I blush a deep shade of red and gingerly take the money. "Thanks, Bill...and sorry for my tantrum. I should have handled the situation better." I wanted to add an entire paragraph to my little pathetic speech, but I didn't want to embarrass myself any further. He smiled at me with kindness shining in his aged eyes. "I understand. I probably would've thrown a bigger tantrum, trust me." He said and chuckled softly.

I just ducked my head and waited for my second wave of blushing to pass. Bill was incredibly kind and he didn't mean to work me so hard for peanuts. He had to pay for his wife's medical bills and I understood that. The thing was just that my own bills were trying to murder me every time I got home. They would literally sit under the lamp I left on. It was both creepy and extremely stressful. I left them there to remind myself why I needed this job. Today they just didn't motivate me enough or they motivated me too much. I always felt that permanent positions were too much of a commitment. You were going to waste your time trying to make more money for someone else.

Now I didn't have a choice anymore. My rent was overdue by three months and begging alone has kept my head under that roof. I sighed as thunder started to rumble softly in the distance. Bill smiled and handed me today's edition of the Daily Times. "You'll find a job in there." He said while patting my shoulder comfortingly. He made me feel like crap. I was rude to him and look at him now, comforting me. I felt like crying and laughing at the same time. I gave him a weak smile and thanked him before starting the long walk to the bus stop.

The wind picked up and started to twirl the loose strands of my curly blonde hair. I battled to get the strands tucked behind my ears with one hand, while playing a game of tug-a-war over the newspaper with the other. I can proudly say that I won the battle. My victory was short-lived, unfortunately. The wind started howling in the empty corners of alleyways and a light patter of rain started to grace the cracked pavements. I sighed and lifted the newspaper over my head in an attempt to stay dry. I tried to quicken my pace and immediately regretted the high heels that I decided to wear to work.

A sudden streak of lightning flashed across the sky, illuminating the buildings and making my surroundings feel a bit eerie. I nearly jumped out of my skin when the loud crack of thunder followed a few seconds later. This urged me into a slow jog. The heels were killing me and I really wanted to take them off. There was just one tiny problem; I was stupid enough to also wear stockings. My black heels clicked as I rushed down the abandoned-looking street. There were no cars driving down this street. I looked at the brightly lit windows of what seemed to be mansions. These people lived comfortably; that much is clear. Another flash of lightning lit up the dark sky, followed by the loud crack of thunder.

I sighed and turned the corner of the street to head to the bus stop. I lifted my gaze to the tiny lit cubicle in time to see the last bus driving away. I picked up my pace and ran after it in my heels, shouting for the driver to stop. I waved my hands above my head in an attempt to draw his attention, but he didn't even look back. I cursed under my breath as the bus disappeared around a corner. I felt like crying. I slowly walked over to the tiny bus stop cubicle and sat down while tiny droplets dripped from my drenched hair. Before I could start my pity party I heard someone approach the bus stop.