Chapter 13 Stella

Start from the beginning

"Someone in this room is a murderer!" He exclaims. "Stand up and I'll kill you, or I'll just kill all of you and not have to deal with it anymore."

We all stay seated.

But Lamar is the only one to speak. "I believe you're mistaken," he says. "We have lost one of our own as well."

"What makes you think I care?" The factionless man demands.

"It means no one in this room killed one of yours."

The man looks at Alice. "It was her," he says. "She just left our dorm!"

"I'm not that stupid," Alice says. "I didn't kill anyone."

"Then who did? If it wasn't any of you?!"

"Someone from the bureau," I say. "It's the only explanation."

"Who are you?" The factionless man says. "And who are you to tell me that my opinion is wrong?"

"Make up your damn mind!" Faith says. "Do you think it's someone from here or not? If you do, you're obviously mentally ill and came here to rat us out for eating out of your garbage can. If not, good for you! You're mentally stable!"

The man starts towards Faith. Lamar stands and starts towards the man.

"What are you going to do about it?!" Faith says. "There's a specific word for men who attack women, what's that word called? Hmmm. Coward?" She says. "Ring any bells? Seems to me like you should know what it is, since--"

"Faith!" Adrian says. "This isn't necessary!"

Just as the man reaches for Faith's throat, Lamar slams him against the wall, he still has to look down, the factionless man in just a few inches shorter than him.

"Got any regrets?" Lamar demands, his voice low.

"No, not really," the man says.

"You might want to reconsider that."

"Why--"

Lamar pulls the man forward, only to slam him back against the wall, the man cries out. "What's your name?" Lamar asks. "And do you regret thinking any of us would kill someone from the factionless?"

"Matthew," he says. I take in a sharp breath, Lamar looks over his shoulder at me. He refocuses his attention on . . . Matthew. "And yes, I regret it. And could someone explain to me why it would be the people at the bureau trying to kill us when they took us in."

Everyone looks at me. "Because," I say. "They're picking everyone off, until one person is left, then there won't be anyone to protect that person, leaving the bureau to do whatever they want to them."

"And that person," Alice says. "Is Stella. "She gestures towards me.

"I never said it was me," I say. "It could be anyone."

"You're part of 'anyone'," she says. "It could be you."

"That doesn't mean it is--"

"Who else do you think it would be?" She asks. "They want to test you and don't want anyone to interfere. Tell me who else you think it could be."

"Alice, I don't know--"

"Exactly," she says, she laughs, insanity threaded into her voice. "We're all going to die," she is still laughing. "We're all going to die and it'll all be because these 'bureau' people want to take tests on you and don't want Storm to stop them."

"Alice, that's not true," I say.

"And why isn't it?" She asks. "It all makes sense."